New wheel bearings when doing front rotors?

Kerpal

Aug 9, 2004
I'm replacing my front brake rotors in a couple days and am wondering if it's reccomended to replace the front wheel bearings at the same time. If so, what's a decent brand to purchase (TRW?), and what's the ideal method for packing them with grease?

I cleaned and repacked the bearings the last time I had the front end apart, and they seemed to be in decent shape, but I feel some play in the front end lately. I don't know if they're wearing out or if I just didn't torque them down enough. Can I tell if they're worn out by inspecting them visually, if they aren't obviously shot?

• Sponsors (?)

THose are pretty cheap parts, compared to having a wheel fall off, so when in doubt with cheap, yet extremely imprtant parts, replace them. As far as packing, just work as much grease into them as you can, I usually put it it on two fingers and just work the grease in while spinning it. You can also get some in from the backside in the little groove. Its pretty much impossble to use too much, since any excess would just work its way back out before installing. Good luck and dont get your hands dirty:D

I say replace them. as for packing? I use the old school method of putting grease in the palm of my hand and grabbing the bearing with the other thenn push the bearing into the palm of my hand in a scooping motion and it is fairly simple and quick. On a side note I have almost brand new front rotors, pads and wheel bearings if you are wanting some. I redid them and then put on my 5 lug conversion. There is maybe 2000 miles on them. the pads have almost no wear on them and the same with the rotors. Tons of meat left. I just don't need them. good luck.

I have always just repacked that style with grease evey time i did a brake job and never any trouble ,one car i had 300 thousand miles on the front wheel bearings that way, the new style that you cant pack with grease ,i have had to replace

A couple questions...

- do new front rotors usually come with bearing races?

-can I remove my the races from my old rotors and install them in the new ones, or are they a one-time fit part?

All brand new rotors should come with the races pre-installed.

Make sure you take a rotor with you to the parts counter and check fitment of your new bearings. I just re-did my fronts about 2 months ago. The guys at a very good parts store gave me the wrong outer bearings so I had to get cleaned up [in the middle of the brake job] drive back to the store and get them swapped out for the correct size.

New Rotors should mean new bearing races which should mean new bearings. My inner bearings were $10.00 each and the outer bearings were $7.00 each. And don't forget a new seal for the inner bearing...

Don't forget a new cotter pin.