Newby bought dual point have questions

Sharps-Nut

Sep 6, 2006
I bought a c5 partnumber ford small block dual point distributor. Should I sell it and spend the money on a petronix or replace the points and condensor and give my 289 a little 60's technology? Is setting the dwell straight forward like on single only adjust two sets? I got in worth the money but not sure if I should go for it or upgrade to electronic. Its going in a bone stock 289 4 speed 65 fastback shelbey clone that I drive in nice weather, a 2000 mile a year type car. Thanks for any input and advice on using it or selling it to someone that needs it for the originality aspect. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same distributer, except I have updated it with a Pertronix II setup. I've used the same distributer in the past with points and can tell you the Pertronix II is much simpler, allows wider points gap and will likely outlast the motor. I can't say the same for any dual point distributer. Points is points and when they're new, they work fine, my wife's Corvette still has points and there's nothing wrong with them, but when the wear out, they'll be replaced with Pertronix. Also, if you do choose to use the non-vacuum advance dual point with either points or Pertronix, remember to set your intial advance at 12 degrees instead of the usual 6 degrees. The reason is, when you set the initial timing with a vacuum advance unit, you disconnect the vacuum line, but since you can't do that with a centrifugal advance unit, the intial advance will be 12 degrees at idle.

Thanks

I figured the distributor was maybe better trading stock than user stock, but I could not pass it up for the price. I think I will sell it and use the money on the petronix upgrade.

Is there any performance gain

I see you said you have run that distributor is ther any noticable performance gain when you eliminate the factory vac advance and go to strictly mechanical. Or could I sell the dual point to a more collector minder person and convert my single point to pertronix with the cash made from the sale. My engine is currently stock but I have a upgrade laying on the floor in parts. Still all cast iron but more cam 4 barrel, thinking of home port job and maybe repo hp manifolds to increase flow and keep heat and leaks down. Opinions?

I've never noticed any performance gains (or any difference for that matter) from any points distributer. I've used Autolite centrifugal dual points, Accel Dual point and single point vacuum advance all with no difference at all. The reason I chose my current Autolite dual point is because I think the thing that separates cars at car shows is details. In other words, 99 out of 100 people will never even notice the distributer, but the one that does will know it's not something you see every day. If that's important to you, then use the dual point, if not, then sell it. BTW, check ebay, non-K motor units aren't worth very much.

Thanks

Thanks for the help. Sorry to hear about your cobra. I was reading last night and run into the pics. I have seen a few cars get dinged up at the mid america shelby meet in Tulsa and it always hurts even though there not mine. Best of luck on the rebuild. Steve

Thanks

Been gone awhile but wanted to thank you for the post and data. Ive never messed with anything but mostly stock engines and points. I looked at ebay if mine is a non k code its not worth much, I only gave 5 bucks for it so cool paper weight for that money. Thanks for the help, Steve

Why not look into an electronic Ignition? Plugs last a whole lot longer, and use a bigger coil while you are at it.

Thanks for the Cobra note. Body coming off Sat, collecting parts to re-build. In the Cobra, I am running a CRANE HI-6 ignition system, with a Unilite distributor on a stock 5.0. Runs great, lots of spark.

With the single-point, you get the vac advance for good highway economy & response, and it gives it more of a stock look to hide the big spark. I did that on the SCJ. Unilite conversion under the stock dizzy, Jacobs black 8.5mm wires, MSD Blaster coil painted black with the Ford decal. It looked stock, but it never fouled plugs again. Anyone who has changed plugs on a Big-Block Mustang with headers & PB knows what a hideous job that is.

I think you folks have the right idea

I appreciated your insights on the distributor. I am going to keep it and use it as a electronic in a more aggresive engine I hope to build soon. I need some insight on that topic and will start a post for it. Thanks very much for all the insight. Steve