No boost but add intercooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this the other day

To cool down the intake charge, an intercooler is generally added, because of the compressing gas it also creates heat so this cold it down

but on the note of a cold air intake, what if you put down an intercooler and run it to the maf and air filter under the drivers side fender?
would this be a better 'cold air intake'?

• Sponsors (?)

you cant intercool ambient air to a lower temp than surrounding air correct?
but my theory besides the fact that if it rains/puddle you are screwed,

wouldnt this idea allow for a ram air style intake and/or possible hp gains, at least over a stock box???? basically not worth the cash,but if you had the pieces lying around why not i ask???

Nope no sense in doing it. Ram air is is more of a direct shot into the intake. you would slow the air down thru an intercooler. better off with a cold air intake thru the fender.

I couldn't agree more. Not only will you slow it down it will take twice as long to get the air into the engine, which will only reek havoc on your computer to try to compensate for a poor air/fuel ratio.

Guys who run large turbos have an air to water intercooler and the water is circulated through an ice tank with a small electric water pump. You could do a similar set up and get much cooler air, but still have the flow problems of trying to suck air through all that plumbing. The net gains would still not be enough to warrant the cost to use a set up like this on a NA engine. So put this whole idea or the idea of trying to cool ambient air with ambient air out of your mind... it's all a waste of time and money.

You, sir, need to take a course in thermodynamics.

Lol, that made me chuckle a bit.

The ambient air vs ambient air thing has been covered.

All that's left to say is the restriction of having the engine trying to draw air through the IC would cancel out any sort of gain you might think if you could somehow cool the air.

A power adder is more efficient PUSHING air through an IC than your engine is at PULLING it through

I dont think so, an intercool creates more surface area and if air is passing through it, then it will cool it down, AM I WRONG?

Yes. You are wrong. An intercooler creates an equilibrium of the hot air pushed inside and the outside air temperature. i.e. 200* air goes through the intercooler from the supercharger, and cools down from the 70* outside air, making it roughly 135*.

If you put an intercooler on a car with no power adder, you are doing nothing. 70* air goes in, mixes with the 70* air flowing past the intercooler, resulting in a 70* air charge. In other words, nothing happens. In fact you interrupt the flow of air which would acutally result in less air going into your intake. :D

are you familiar with the wind chill factor in weather? if you are traveling at speed, say 60mph, then that is similar as to you being stationary and a 60mph wind hitting you, now how does the windchill happen if the air is the same temp as the wind blowing

Im just throwing an idea out there, I didnt plan on being burnt at the stake for having a new idea!

are you familiar with the wind chill factor in weather? if you are traveling at speed, say 60mph, then that is similar as to you being stationary and a 60mph wind hitting you, now how does the windchill happen if the air is the same temp as the wind blowing!

Windchill only affects LIVING things

For non-living things, the object will only get as cool as the ambient air.

If it's 20 degrees out and you drive 100MPH, the object sticking in the air will still be 20 degrees.

This idea is not gonna work....otherwise it would have been done by now and you would have heard of N/A intercooling

from what you just posted, take a step back and think about it.. if the "wind chill" is going through/past the intercooler then guess what?!.. that same "wind chill" is already going through your air filter. there is no change in intake air temperature while using an intercooler on a naturally aspirated engine. if you are just gonna argue with people who obviously know way more than you... then why ask? and for the sake of argueing with me. get some pipe and mount your air cleaner in the air dam of the front bumper cover and call it a day.:ban:

:D
my awesome drawings
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Itercooler 1.jpg
    Itercooler 1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Itercooler 2.jpg
    Itercooler 2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 204
Status