Now in the 13's, I'm happy!

Dragstr05

Dec 21, 2004
Stafford VA
I know its not exactly fast, but I am making progress so I am happy with myself. First time to the track back in april with the Stang I ran a best of 14.0 @ 99mph. I went back to the track this weekend on fri night and made 5 passes. A 14.5, 14.1, 14.3, 14.3, 13.9 respectively. The 14.5 I had a terrible 60ft (2.55), and the rest were pretty close. The big factor on my times is just the 60ft and me finding whats right and how to be consistant. I hit the gears quick and just right, havent missed a shift yet at the track, and thats with the stock shifter.

Details for my 13.9
R/T .397
60' 1.978
330 5.869
1/8 9.020
MPH 78.20
1000 11.712
1/4 13.978
MPH 99.38

This was my first 60' under 2.0s to date (tires are BFG KDW's, stock size). I drove around the water box and gave a quick dry spin. I left the line around 1800-2000rpm, slipping the clutch, got moving and and put my foot in it. I'd like to know that with my current combo, that I can do better just because that would mean there is more left in the car without putting more money into it, but if someone could honestly say this is about what I should be running I would be happy cause I'm doing it right.

Thats about it, just thought I'd share. Feedback is welcome, this is certainly alot more tricky then just putting it to the floor and holding the wheel straight.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd kill for a 1.9 60ft. Good driving.

Considering your on street tires pulling 1.9 60 ft and you mentioned that you were shifting just right, I'd say your pretty much maxed out on your current setup.

That doesn't mean you can't imporve anyway. If the track wasn't prepped, you could gain more with a well prepped track. Most importantly what I've noticed up here is that when cooler fall weather hits, the times drop VERY nicely.

Good luck and enjoy :nice:.

It was at maple grove raceway here in PA (from Va, but im here for UTI currently). I'd have to assume temperature may having something to do with it as the pass was made at 9:30 at night, but I should add that my previous 14.0 best was made in the heat of the afternoon. Im sorry I do not know what the humidity was.

Basically all my times are pretty much identical all except for my 60ft times. My only run that wasnt trapping 99mph was the first one when I ran a 14.5, but that was the first run since april. I'm very confident that with a shifter and DR's or slicks, I could easily knock it down a couple tenths.

well, i'm no expert, and am having the same type of issues making good times....the one thing I see that has room for improvement is your r/t. The guys i've been racing with are putting down .10 or better. That'll help. Great '60 time. I can't seem to crack 2.1

01Steeda said:
might just be me.. but i have turned low 1.8's on street tires in a vert. 1.9's are ok.. but there is definate room for improvement. do you feel it spinning at all?

I launched my car at 3500-4000 with street tires.

Wow thats high with street tires. U must be good with the clutch moderation. I launch at 3k RPM with drag radials and im right off the line and gone...although i dont know what i run at the track. But i know there is minimal to 0 spinning.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm sure I could get it down lower. Next time I go out I'll try launching at a higher rpm and experiment with different shiftpoints. I was just running it to redline because for me its just easier to see red meet red and shift. If there is anything more to squeeze out of my car exactly the way it is, I will find it, but Im positive it will all be in the 60'. 8 runs overall, and all except 1 have been 99mph if that says anything.