Official GT40P headed 300rwhp thread!!!

Killer95Stang

Aug 7, 2003
Covina, CA
I've noticed over the past year that quite a few SN95 owners are using GT40P's. Some of them have had amazing results, like Darkpony (297rwhp), and others seem to tap at around 245rwhp... Personally I've hit 271rwhp and 305rwtq running extremely lean (18:1 yikes). I figure their was a little more left in my combo.... Well, since I know I won't be able to afford AFR's any time soon, I decided to work with what I have. I am going to try to reach the illusive 300rwhp mark, by porting my GT40P's, and adding a custom matched cam...

I also started a thread on my clubs board (as a sticky), so we could document what the 300rwhp combo's are, and who actually makes it to this goal... So far SSKiller and Twotonefreak have signed up for our little competition, and hopefully others will follow...

Thanks... Please follow the link in my sig. to the thread...

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know about 300 to the wheels, but I had 231 with 7cyl on unported gt40(non-P) heads.

Got them ported by Thumper, also got a explorer intake ported by Tmoss. I am sticking with the TFS1 cam. Should be at around 10.5-11:1 comp.

oh and going bigger on the bottle so 175+ of n2o might make up for some N/A power

Awesome idea! I love when people do stuff like this. Back when I was looking into heads I was going to gop the GT40P route, and I actually found a few fox body guys running 11's FI on ported GT40P's. Man, if you could hook up with a factory stock racer and get a few tips/tricks out of them regarding the heads, you'd be set!

I don't remember his name but when I first started coming to the 94-95 forum there was a guy with a black cobra like mine. He was still using the cobra manifold and the gt40 irons and he put down like 295 at the wheels with bolt ons'...I wish I could remember his screen name to dig up an old post, but from what I remember he wound up selling it.

Killercanary said:
Awesome idea! I love when people do stuff like this. Back when I was looking into heads I was going to gop the GT40P route, and I actually found a few fox body guys running 11's FI on ported GT40P's. Man, if you could hook up with a factory stock racer and get a few tips/tricks out of them regarding the heads, you'd be set!

Thanks for you insight Paul...

Like I said, I wish I could spring the $2K it would take to pony up to the FTI package, but I just do not want to spend that much... I'm having Neil Erickson do the port work on my heads, plus I'm either having him spec. a custom Comp. XE grind, or I'll have Jay Allen do me the honors... I figure I'll be at $750 or less once I'm done, since I'm getting a great deal on all the work.. plus I'll be doing a majority of the wrenching myself.

I'll keep reviving this thread from time to time, and maybe I'll add a section that shows which parts work, like valves, valve springs, cams, headers ect... That would save a ton searches for other people...

I haven't dynoed my car, but I bought my gt40p's off of e-bay, with "1.94/1.54 ss valves, and .600 lift springs(unported,unpolished,non egr) from a place called tri state cylinder head, in Indiana. I paid 569.00 for the heads, and I put them on my engine combo, and ran a 12.7 @107mph n/a I would imagine that the car is close to 300hp, but I can't verify that at this time. :shrug: I just know what I was able to run

GreenMustangGt said:
whell, count me in, as my $650 dollar junk yard motor has yet to run any numbers, but im hoping to get somewhere close to there once i get a larger TB and a tune!........~300rwhp here i come?

Your more than welcome to join the list... I figure I'll start a list pretty soon, once we get at least a couple more people... Just sign up for my clubs board, and feel free to post in the GT40P thread... I figure a lot of what gets posted on our board will not be relevant to people not in CA, but at least we have a place where we can make the thread a "sticky"...

Thanks...

GreenMustangGt said:
whell, count me in, as my $650 dollar junk yard motor has yet to run any numbers, but im hoping to get somewhere close to there once i get a larger TB and a tune!........~300rwhp here i come?

have you gone to the track or anything. You really need to get numbers or track times. You think you are in the 300rwhp range?

Dustin

Killercanary said:
See.... I told you the racers would have a few tips and tricks!!! :nice:

Actually I'm trying to get Tom to show off his car. The heads he has may be a step above what most unported P heads are, and I know he's about 20 RWHP shy of the goal but I think he's got an excellent idea of what it would take to make 300 with P heads.

I dont have 40Ps or an SN-95, but on my unported E7s I made 272 rwhp. Ims ure with some decent GT-40 heads I could see 300 rwhp...

My dads stock cammed, stock bottem end LX with unported Ps made 282 rwhp. Another friend with a similar combo, but some bottem end tricks (hyper pistons, and such) made right under 300 rwhp, with a stock cam as well. Its the torque these heads make also, not just the power!

greenlantern said:
Is this for the GT40 guys only or can the rest of us join in. I think Im there but I won't know for sure until the track opens up or if I can manage to make it down to the dyno there about an hour away.

Although I'd like to open it up to everyone, I'm trying to keep this a GT40P / GT40 head post... since I know pretty much any aftermarket head (TW, AFR, Edelbrock) should already be at 300rwhp... But, anything that you can contribute is more than welcome!!!

My dad should have a 300 rwhp GT-40P combo soon. Once it hits the dyno that is. The car was put together at midnight, loaded up, not being able to idle or anything. Get it to the track, and tune it in the pits for a few mins and although it ran a crappy time, he got 112 mph out of it, and I believe it went 88 or 89 in the 1/8th. The car with about 285 rwhp only ran 110 mph even in cold air, this time it went 112 with a head wind (the other 109-110 mph cars were only trapping 108-109 tops) and poor air! Now it might not be 300 rwhp, but for a set of unported GT-40Ps, stock cam, and bolt ons, the car moves!