Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

Second cold season since the early Ford repair(before TSB official fix) and it occasionally has a light grind going into second with temps below 32F. Warranty ends next March and I will complain to the dealer in January and see what they do. Only 6K miles on the fix.
Happy Thanksgiving to All

• Sponsors (?)

Well 30K miles and 4 months left on warranty and i still haven't done it.

It's getting cold and starting to grind again so i guess it's time to bring it in. I figure all the Ford techs have gotten plenty of expeirence with it so i shouldn't have a prob. I'll just wait til i can toss the stock shifter on and bring it in

Nater said:
It's definitely cold here and I've had the TSB done last year. I thought about this particular topic this morning on my way in...no grinding!
Same here. It was pretty bad last year. I had the TSB done this past summer. There have been several cold mornings here in KC. No grinding at all. Does anyone have more tranny noise since the TSB? Mine humms in 3rd and 5th gears. It's probably the syncro's. A guess one trade off for another. Pearl02.

Pearl02 said:
Same here. It was pretty bad last year. I had the TSB done this past summer. There have been several cold mornings here in KC. No grinding at all. Does anyone have more tranny noise since the TSB? Mine humms in 3rd and 5th gears. It's probably the syncro's. A guess one trade off for another. Pearl02.

I also had the TSB done. Initially had a new 3rd gear grind, but I was able to fix that by lowering the fluid level to 3.2 & changing to the cheapy fluid. When I pulled the fill plug off the tranny, A LOT of fluid poured out! :eek: Obviously it was overfilled. I'm with ya on the noise though - the tranny is definitely a little louder after the fix, but nonetheless I'm satisfied. No more grinding. :)

todd4566 said:
I also had the TSB done. Initially had a new 3rd gear grind, but I was able to fix that by lowering the fluid level to 3.2 & changing to the cheapy fluid. When I pulled the fill plug off the tranny, A LOT of fluid poured out! :eek: Obviously it was overfilled. I'm with ya on the noise though - the tranny is definitely a little louder after the fix, but nonetheless I'm satisfied. No more grinding. :)
I'm glad the fix worked out for you. It sucks that they overfilled you tranny. I was due for a oil change while the car was in the shop for the TSB. I ask them not to overfill the oil pan. I even made reference to the TSB about the dipstick. I changed my oil 4 months later and it was way overfilled. I have a 8 quart oil catch pan and it was up around 7 quarts. It's to bad we can't trust the dealers to service our vehicles to right way. That's why I do my own work. Pearl02.

Back to the Dealer Again

Lightbulb75 said:
Second cold season since the early Ford repair(before TSB official fix) and it occasionally has a light grind going into second with temps below 32F. Warranty ends next March and I will complain to the dealer in January and see what they do. Only 6K miles on the fix.
Happy Thanksgiving to All

Well it going back Febuary 7.:bang: I had to wait for the weather to cooperate, been too warm and I needed a good cold week to Ford dealership test drive it next week.

I hope it is the last time. The warranty runs out in April

PS
Did anyone one see or read about how the Engine/Transmission might be misalign which causes undue pressure on the transmission front shaft into the gears/syncos and casues the pilot bearing to fail early too? Plus you could move the car from a stop positon by just pushing the gear shifter handle toward first gear. I could not duplicate that. The article was in Mustang Enthusiast March 06 page 48 "TR-3650 Transmission Issues".

My '03 is shifting hard to 2nd when it's cold...
I was thinking about taking it in, but I have long tube headers installed...
Do you think they would give me a hard time about it?
Do the headers have to come off to do the repair work for TSB 04-15-6?

Unfortunatley, this is my first post IN THE BROKE TRANS SECTION. I just bought my muscle car a 2002 mustang gt 34,000 mi. My car also grinds going into second gear I just bought it Feb 16. What should I do?

DERJ said:
My '03 is shifting hard to 2nd when it's cold...
I was thinking about taking it in, but I have long tube headers installed...
Do you think they would give me a hard time about it?
Do the headers have to come off to do the repair work for TSB 04-15-6?

I have aftermarket exhaust, and they didn't give me a hard time. They did have to remove a portion of it ..... what part though, I don't know.

Just when I thought I was in the clear with my 3650 it took a crap on me last night. From a stop in 1st it grinds and then pops out. To keep it in you have to hold it firm and give gas slowly. All the other gears are hard as hell to get into also. Does this sound like my tranny went south or does it sound like my clutch gave out. Its going to the shop tomorrow so ill find out then No warrenty so I hope this dont cost me a fortune.

Is there any kind of Class Action Lawsuit for this? I bought my car with 14K on the odometer and have experienced light transmission problems, but my car is out of warranty because of the year. I think we should be compensated for dealing with this problem or atleast a free fix at any mileage.

jefferz said:
Is there any kind of Class Action Lawsuit for this? I bought my car with 14K on the odometer and have experienced light transmission problems, but my car is out of warranty because of the year. I think we should be compensated for dealing with this problem or atleast a free fix at any mileage.

thats avery long and difficult road. you need to get a lot of people who payed for this repair to try and file a class action suit.

Add me to the list! 3rd gear went out on me today. I can drive it but i have to go from 2nd to 4th!

I have 61,000 miles on my 02 GT?

I had a rr clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing replaced at 39,875 miles at a cost of $739.20

How much am I looking at to get this fixed?

I just had the tsb done on my 03 and it is better but the 2nd to 3rd is still pretty bad. I'll give it 1,000 miles but I think I'll end up taking it in again before the end of the month. Does anyone know if syncros and such are covered under the ford certified extended warranty?