One more project down - new steering wheel

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
Just finished installing my new steering wheel.

steeringwheel01.jpg

Dad doesn't really like it (he prefers the 4-spoke version), but it's not his car so :p .

The installation really wasn't too bad and the horn works just fine (I did manage to get the wheel a little crooked, but I'll fix it later).

I do have a minor problem with the turn signal lever, though. I now have about 1/2" clearance between the lever & the wheel so when I make turns, I keep hitting the lever with my knuckles. I figure I can just cut the lever shorter and re-thread the end, though.
steeringwheel02.jpg

My next project is going to be installing 3-point seat belts. I'll probably try to do a pretty good write up with lots of pics on that one since there isn't a whole lot of info available. I will be following this method:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Strip/1121/seatbelt.html

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Yup, horn works just fine.

I replaced my turn signal lever with a shorter tilt steering lever from another Ford. It had the exact same ends on it.
Cool, I'll have to look for one. Between the 2 cars, I do have 2 levers, though. So if I can't find anything else I can still cut & rethread one and I'll still have a good one if I mess it up.

-Chelle

Now that I remember, I made a custom stalk for the DCVR from 1/4" Aluminum flat with a "S" shape. Worked good, looked cool! Threads into the switch were funky though, some odd SAE thread, 12-20 or something not used much.

Capt Dan said:
Which you have to do anyway because the wheel is crooked, right?

The shorter one seems like the best solution though, IMHO
Yeah, I got thinking about it today and if I can't find a die that has the right threads, I might go ahead and just bend one & pull the wheel again. I was looking around for one from a tilt column and it doesn't look like they're available repro yet and the only one I found on eBay was $35 and I don't really want to pay that much for a metal stick.

-Chelle

In case anyone is interested, I fixed the turn signal lever clearance issue.

I just threaded it further down and cut off about 2". For future reference, it's a 1/4"-28 die.

turnsignallever01.jpg

turnsignallever02.jpg

I have about 1/2" of space between my fingers & the lever now. Dad said I should have cut another inch off because he still has clearance issues, but it's my car so it's fine the way it is. :p

-Chelle

t_chelle16 said:
In case anyone is interested, I fixed the turn signal lever clearance issue.

I just threaded it further down and cut off about 2". For future reference, it's a 1/4"-28 die.

turnsignallever01.jpg

turnsignallever02.jpg

I have about 1/2" of space between my fingers & the lever now. Dad said I should have cut another inch off because he still has clearance issues, but it's my car so it's fine the way it is. :p

-Chelle
Geez, what is your father using for fingers....bratwurst?:nonono: