Opinions on direction of my build?

speadfreak

Oct 13, 2005
Ok ya'll....heres what I got. 90 notch (the one in the pic), stock 5 speed. 3:73s, alum. driveshaft, comp. engineering welded sub connectors, driveshaft loop and a sumped tank(which is plugged right now). It has brand new draglites with brand new MT ET DRs on back, a cowl hood and paint is less than a year old. It also has an OR X pipe and IMCOs with dumps. This car previously had a Chivy small block and 350turbo trans, but the previous owner found a wrecked 88GT and used the drivetrain to make it back into a "mustang" again. The motor supposedly only has like 60k on it, but it is speed density. Now........on my engine stand I have a 69 351w block ready to be built on. I also have a set of Vic. Jr. heads, 351 swap headers, swap pan and pickup, correct balancer and timing cover, holley 750DP, a big nasty cam, holley blue pump...etc. I have not bought any of the rotating assembly for this motor yet. I originally planned on building a healthy little NA windsor stroker moter, but I have been seriously thinking about selling all the 351 swap stuff, converting to mass air, and throwing a turbo kit on the stock motor. Just want to get some opinions here.......thanks.

Oh yeah, I know it would be cool to use the 351 and turbocharge it.......but that's not in the budget right now. It's pretty much gotta be one or the other and I want to drive the car this summer.

• Sponsors (?)

how about building a lower compression 351, and run it till you can afford the tt kit :) the motor is already there...so i would think the most economical way to go would be to sell the SD 5.0 and tranny, buy the rotating assembly and a tko, run like 8.5-9 compression then next summer turbo it.

BOWTIEKILLR said:
how about building a lower compression 351, and run it till you can afford the tt kit :) the motor is already there...so i would think the most economical way to go would be to sell the SD 5.0 and tranny, buy the rotating assembly and a tko, run like 8.5-9 compression then next summer turbo it.

:stupid: 351 + boost= :drool: especially in ur notch!

who you calling stupid?!?!? :) you have most of the necessary stuff to build an awesome 351 that will make more than enough power to get you by till you have the cash for the turbo. and if you have enough after selling the 5.0 you might be able to put together the 351 stroker, and then start saving for the turbo

I should have stated that the 351 was most definately gonna be carbed. I've seen a couple guys using a carb with a turbo, but those blow through carbs or inclosures are very pricey. I don't know a whole lot about tuning carbs, but it seems that the whole thing with changing jets with different types of weather would be even worse with a force fed carb motor? Wouldn't an auto be a better choice with a turbo........I've never tried to launch a turbo car with a stick.......seems like it would be tricky, seeing as how you can't really build boost at the line like an auto.

not quite.. your simulating a standard weather when using that turbo.. the volume and temp of the air is changed as it runs through the turbo.. and i have no idea what your talkin about with changing jets out the ass.. i never had to when i had my 69 351w

Ironman92GT said:
not quite.. your simulating a standard weather when using that turbo.. the volume and temp of the air is changed as it runs through the turbo.. and i have no idea what your talkin about with changing jets out the ass.. i never had to when i had my 69 351w

My friend's dad has a little S10 blazer with a 406....runs low 10s. Anytime I've been down at the track with him, it seems like if the weather changes 5 degrees or wind changes direction (exaturating) he is pulling plugs and changing jets. I just always thought carbs were very inconsistant with changing atmospheric conditions..........but I guess your right, they only had carbs for like 8 zillion years before fuel injection came out.:rolleyes:

Do the 351 N/A motor, its going to be a lot cooler IMO. Turbo on a stock motor is great for making good numbers and running good times. But I just dont feel like the fun factor is there. Yeah its more fun than a stock motor, but not as much fun as a 351.

On the other hand, that 351 is going to shred your trans, a turbo will not. If you can afford a new trans, do the 351 swap, if not, do the turbo.

In my totally biased opinion carbed 383,393 is the way to go. Your just a stroker crank away!
Forget carb enclosures they are expensive and a eye sore. Barry Grant sells blow-though carbs for $532 + a $200 hat. Expensive, yes. Sell your 5.0 to offset the price. You only live once go for it:D ...PB

wow........I had no idea it would be that easy to build a 393. I just got off the phone with a friend and aquired some stock pistons out of a 92, so I won't even have to tear my running 302 apart. I am pretty sure that I will have to have the pistons flycut for the 2.05 valves on the Vic jrs and the 554 lift cam I will be using, but that's no big deal. What approximate comp. ratio will I end up with using my 60cc heads? I'm glad I asked for opinions now, my mind is definately made up!