Over heating???

Gt44

Mar 17, 2004
Well yesterday i put my lower and upper intakes on and connected everything. Now today i go to start it to see if everything is connected right and it starts on the first try. so i go driving it around cause i miss it. about two miles down the road i look at my temp gauge and it is on the "H". so i pull over and check all my hoses and they all seem to be connected... the only thing i changed was the small tube that goes from the lower intake to the water pump... i took one from a 90+ 5.0L(you know....it had rubber frost caps on the intake...not like the copper ones i have on my 88) it is a little pinched, but not much..... could it be a thermostat that got stuck??? what are the stock MK7 thermostats set at? i also have a hair line crack on my radiator near the tube that goes to the water pump...

• Sponsors (?)

hard to help from here. do you think the car was really that hot? dont forget the stock gauges suck.
one thing comes to mind. normally with electric gauges, when the sender wire is grounded, the gauge pegs hot. if you pinched the sender wire while playing with the intake, it could peg the gauge. does the gauge flow through its normal sweep, or does it always read hot? just a thought.

you could take the rad cap off and start it up and watch the gauge while watching the upper hose (for stat opening). also use a kitchen thermometer, etc to check the water temp in the rad fill neck (dont burn yourself. i like to take the cap off before starting the car. then let it warm up). if the thermometer you use is reading way cooler than the gauge, and the car is not feeling too hot, you can guess what is at fault.
no matter, i would add an aftermarket gauge. really a necessity, IMHO. stick it in the stock sender location, and relocate the stock sender to your choice of locations.

that is just my thinking. good luck.

Gt44 said:
what are the stock MK7 thermostats set at? i also have a hair line crack on my radiator near the tube that goes to the water pump...

What exactly do you mean? That you got the intake off a Mark VII and didnt change the thermostat? I sure hope not. If it had a 5.0 HO, then the entire engine is the same as a Mustang 5.0 HO.

You cracked radiator isnt good either, but if the crack was there and it wasnt overheating before, it probably wouldnt now. Plus it would be blowing water all over. Basing all this on the stock idiot gage is an iffy proposition. Did it boil over?

My stock gauge went and was reading off the chart. Many $$$ later and unnecessary upgrades later :D , we found the problem and put an Auto Meter gauge in, problem resolved. I'm pretty sure you can get a test temp gauge from any parts store that hooks into where the stock sender goes to test out the actual temp.