Resolved Parking Brake Issues

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

WTW

Aug 12, 2023
Central TX
When I bought my 93, the parking brake had no resistance on the handle when engaging. Got underneath and found the parking brake cable bracket was broken allowing one cable to move freely. The bracket in the driveshaft tunnel that connects the cable from the handle to the left and right rear drum cable.
Replaced that bracket and adjusted rear shoes but I have to pull the parking brake handle all the way up before it starts to engage brakes. And it barely bites.
There was no slack in the cables at the bracket so I assume there is no stretch in the cables.
I didn’t see any other adjustment points. Am I missing something?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have that much slack you either do not have the shoes in the rear brakes adjusted properly or the cables need to be replaced but my money is on the adjustment.

Last edited:
My drum brake adjustment procedure: adjust till they drag while turning wheel forward, apply brakes pumping the peddle 2-3 times, check for drag, adjust if needed, drive the car applying the brakes several times, then back up applying the brake peddle several times so the self adjusters can work.
Now test the parking brake operation.

Reactions: 1 users
The secret to drum brakes is to adjust them as tight as you can , THEN back them off to adjust them...
Usually count the clicks when backing off then do the same amount of clicks on the other side
By tightening the brakes fully you get the entire shoe to seat before adjustment......

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They stopped using the adjustable cable in 1987. You can install one but between the ratcheting system in the handle and properly adjusting the brakes the system is pretty good. Cable stretch is only solved with new cables.

They stopped using the adjustable cable in 1987. You can install one but between the ratcheting system in the handle and properly adjusting the brakes the system is pretty good. Cable stretch is only solved with new cables.
Thanks for updating me......

The handle will account for some cable stretch as it does have a self-adjuster. That's the racheting teeth part that most folks disable when they swap to rear disk brakes.

I would check to make sure the broken cable hasn't caused it to self adjust all the way up. Reset it down to low end of adjustment range as specified in the thread above and then adjust your drums.

The handle will account for some cable stretch as it does have a self-adjuster. That's the racheting teeth part that most folks disable when they swap to rear disk brakes.

I would check to make sure the broken cable hasn't caused it to self adjust all the way up. Reset it down to low end of adjustment range as specified in the thread above and then adjust your drums.
I'll check the handle assembly as well. No broken cables, just the holding bracket. Haven't had time to tinker with it this week. Hoping to get it sorted out this weekend with all the advice above.

If the brake drums are too big (oversize from turning or just worn out)
The E brake will work little if at all even with the adjuster cranked up all the way
If the drums are within spec, replace both rear cables

I love the feeling of an E brake with all new parts.
If you use it regularly the cables will not freeze up for 20 years IMO
What do frozen ebrake cables feel like? My car sat for 10 years and I'm replacing the drum brakes. My ebrake handle goes up and down, still makes that ratchet sound and I feel tension. I made the mistake of pulling the ebrake up while my drums were off. The shoe facing forward moved so I'm assuming that means the cables are ok but I want to be sure.

Frozen cables will be solid and not operate or partially frozen they will apply and stick applied.
You were anle to get the shoes back into position okay right?
It sounds like yours are okay. If the spring on the cable returns the lever and does not stick

Frozen cables will be solid and not operate or partially frozen they will apply and stick applied.
You were anle to get the shoes back into position okay right?
It sounds like yours are okay. If the spring on the cable returns the lever and does not stick
Ok I think mine are sticking open. I pulled up the Ebrake with the drums off and just the front shoe moved but I dind't see it go back down until I manually put it back into place. My ebrake handle feels normal but not sure if that's a good indicator. My passenger drum was rusted on and that wheel would not move until I got it all apart. The car sat for years and the passenger side got wet from sprinklers.