PI Intake swap postmortem

patman0911

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2002
Tuscaloosa, AL
Finished up the final touches on a PI Intake swap on my '96 GT this morning. I started on Tuesday but between crappy cold and drizzly weather, me not being in a big hurry and unanticipated delays, it took a couple extra days. I've been wanting to do the PI swap forever but kept putting it off. I was finally forced to when the car started leaking coolant near the intake - turned out to be the gasket and not the intake but mo point putting the stocker back on when there's a perfectly good PI sitting in the garage.

Tuesday: flushed out the cooling system and tore everything down.

The old coolant was dirty but clean, if you know what I mean, and overdue for replacement. The radiator was easy enough to drain and then the book said to simply remove the block drain plugs on either side to empty the block. Hah! They failed to mention that the drain holes are under the engine mounts! So, instead, I stuffed a garden hose in every coolant hose I could fine till it ran clear. At some point I took the thermostat out, put the hose in the degas tank, fired the car up and let the water pump push fresh water through everything and back out the upper radiator hose.

Actually removing the intake wasn't much trouble and didn't take very long. Left the fuel rails in the car and pushed them to the side out of the way. Disconnected the wiring harness from the crank sensor back to the firewall and pushed it to either side. Disconnected the EGR valve from the throttle body and left it in the car because I was afraid the EGR tube would twist rather than come out of the valve.

The water pump was a bitch to get out. It broke my 5 pound sledge (well, the handle, which was kinda old and rotted anyway). I broke both ears off the pump prying on it. After banging on it with a hammer on a chunk of wood for a while, I finally got enough of a gap to get the crow bar in there and pry it out. The heater tube in the valley was a pain too with the two bolts on the back of the head - the PI tube mount is much better. The nipple was a bastard too - it took a lot of pounding to break loose and by the time it finally broke loose, the end was too deformed to fit through the hole. I cut off the deformed part with a tiny plumber's pipe cutter - beat the hell out of taking a hacksaw to it.

I planned to RTV the coolant ports in two stages, first I'd fill the corner of the port with RTV and then later, when I put the intake on, I'd RTV the gasket to the glob in the port. That way, I could be satisfied that the RTV in the head was going to be up to the job before I bolted the intake on. I knew the curing times were going to be longer because of the cold weather so I started that as soon as I could and then worked on other stuff.

Mid-afternoon I remembered that I forgot to ever get the 2nd coolant sensor hole drilled and tapped so I set off in search of a machine shop who could knock that out. Finally found a place that could do it and they said it'd be ready the next day which was fine because I wasn't going to do much more that day anyway and they said it's be $15 for a drill & tap which sounded good to me.

Wednesday: Replaced all the injector O-rings and pintel caps while watching the Overhaulin' marathon on DSC.

Called the machine shop around lunchtime to see if my intake was ready - no, they had to order a tap (wtf!?) and it wouldn't be ready for another day. Argh! I checked on the RTV and apparently it was just too cold for it to set up properly. One of them didn't stick at all and came right off when I poked it - the other stuck a little better but was still uncured in the middle, even after almost 20 hours. I decided to start over and JB Weld the heads instead. I cut little triangular forms out of card stock and taped them into place with duct tape to keep the JB Weld from running all over the place before it set up - the paper forms worked perfectly and the small amount of paper left in there would just dissolve easily. I think that was about all I did Wednesday as it started raining and it was too freaking cold to be working without sunshine.

Thursday: Slept late and got off to a late start.

Called the machine shop mid-morning and the intake was ready. Got down there to pick it up and asked the guy for a new battery terminal clamp while I was there and he grabs one and says, "OK, that'll be $47." I asked him how much the terminal was and he said two dollars. I told him that I was expecting the intake to be $15 dollars and not $45 and he started protesting but then said fine and gives it to me for $15. Then he starts saying something about them getting $65/hr for labor and I'm thinking, yeah, that sounds about right 'cause it should be a 10 or 15 minute job. Anyway, back to work.

The JB Weld was cured, at least enough to start working on so I grabbed a file and started grinding it down level with the head. Then I cleaned out the intake ports and spark plug holes, pulled the plugs and turned the motor over a few times to get any coolant & gas that might still be hanging around out of the cylinders. Put the PI intake on and got it bolted down - I did put some extra RTV around the corner of the coolant ports in case there were any surface imperfections.

Started putting everything else back together. Put a new water pump in. Found a vacuum line that was broken in that network of tiny plastic lines that come off the throttle body so I had to go later get a piece of tiny vacuum hose to patch it. The PCV elbow was in bad shape too but I couldn't find the correct piece so it's temporarily fixed with a piece of coolant hose while I procure the correct elbow. I broke off the temp sensor when mounting it on the PI intake, then, not learning from my mistake, I managed do crack the temp sending unit too so I had to pick up a pair of them while I was out.

I had both a a NPI and PI alternator and a PI bracket. I would have had to cut a arm off the PI bracket because it hit the temp sending unit and it also didn't have the stand-offs for the spark plug wire so I used my NPI alternator and modified the old bracket by drilling a new mounting hole where it attaches to the intake - I was only able to drill one side because the leg of one of the stand-offs was in the way of where the 2nd hole would be. I'm going to go by the Ford dealer and see if I can get the correct alternator bracket for a NPI car with an aluminum corssover intake because mine is ugly and could potentially let the alternator get out of alignment, although it's probably unlikely.

Every thing went back together smoothly, although I had to unbolt the fuel rails a couple of times because I kept forgetting what needed to go on first and then I was trying to figure out how the wiring harness was supposed to snake through there. I also snapped a throttle body mounting bolt - it doesn't seem to be leaking there but I'm going to have to pull the TB and see if I can get it out before it does start causing problems.

Finally got the car completely back together except for the strut tower brace late afternoon and fired it up. I started up but was missing on one cylinder - I cut it off and reseated all the plug wires and injector connectors and started it up again. This time it was hitting on all cylinders but I started smelling gas from the engine compartment - I found fuel pooling around the number 5 & 6 injectors. I pushed on the fuel rail and wiggled the injectors around and tried again and then I found that the gas was coming from the schrader valve. Poking it a few times didn't fix it but then I realized there was a valve I could grab off the PI rails I wasn't using. I started to swap them but then decided to call it a day because company was coming over and I needed to get cleaned up and I should probably really let the RTV cure a while longer before I put any pressure on it.

Friday: swapped schrader valve out, started car and let it come up to temp while monitoring the water level and watching for leaks. Got a little scare as the block started getting warm and the residual coolant and other gunk that had gotten in the valley burned off. Once that was gone, I couldn't find any leaks and everything seemed to be working properly.

I took it for a drive and it felt good - took it out on a windy back road once I was reasonably sure it wasn't going to blow up and was able to really flog it. Power feels really good all the way up to 6K RPMs now - wish I had shorter gears and a closer ratio transmission so I could use more than just 2nd gear. Part throttle response feels better too - crisper and more responsive at low, cruising RPMs - although it's possible that I accidentally fixed some minor vacuum leak along the way. The car sounds a little different too, throatier and more aggressive.

I think I hit all the highlights and lowlights.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds good.

I hated that little water pump nipple, as well as the bolts for that coolant line to the back of the block.

I am glad you got it all fixed and running. Congratulations!

Yeah, it took me a minute to figure out that there was a second bolt holding that coolant tube bracket to the head and then find it and then even longer to realize that it was a different size than the first one :bang: I was fumbling around with a wrench back there and I knew I was in the right area but I couldn't seem to get it to grab the bolt.

Sounds like the machine shop was trying to charge you for the new tap too. I looked all over for one and lucked out when a performance shop near me had one...said he had only used it once.

In the future, for anyone reading this thread, take a socket that will just slide over the coolant tube nipple and then tap it out with a hammer. It keeps it from flaring and having to get in there to cut it.

As far as curing the RTV, should have brought the intake inside. :D

thanks for the info...now I have a better idea of what to expect :)

No problem - hope my experience can help your's go smoothly.

Sounds like the machine shop was trying to charge you for the new tap too. I looked all over for one and lucked out when a performance shop near me had one...said he had only used it once.

In the future, for anyone reading this thread, take a socket that will just slide over the coolant tube nipple and then tap it out with a hammer. It keeps it from flaring and having to get in there to cut it.

As far as curing the RTV, should have brought the intake inside. :D

Yeah, I got the impression they were trying to stick me for the tap and their general dumbassery - he started trying to tell me about all the problems they had with it... come on, it's drilling a hole in aluminum, I could've done that with an old timey hand drill in less time than it took me to drill out my alternator bracket with a power drill. I didn't feel too bad about it though 'cause when I dropped the intake off they didn't ask for a name or callback number or anything - I asked them if they didn't want to get my name or something and the guy just said, "What, like anybody else going to be asking for it?". They could've gotten my info and then called me when they realized that they didn't have the correct tools on hand or that the job was more involved than originally thought and given me options - at least let me know it was going to take an extra day. I intended to just do it myself originally and had looked for a tap at Lowe's a while back and they happened to be out of them and I briefly looked online for some and then just forgot all about it.

I should've thought of using a socket on that tube. I wasn't really expecting it to be so stuck though and after a couple blows it was already too late.

The RTV was going on the heads, not the intake - I don't think my wife would let me keep the car on the kitchen table overnight :D

i'm not sure I am following this correct....Tap it out with a hammer after sliding a socking over the coolant tube nipple?

Yeah, slide a socket that just barely fits over the nipple - probably something around 3/4" - and hammer on that. Once you break the nipple loose you can tap it the rest of the way out without messing it up.

You can use a deepwell socket to tap the new one in too. Find one that is exactly the same diameter as the flange on the nipple - I think a 5/8" socket was about right for me - and hold it flush against the nipple and it should stick far enough out of the water pump cavity in the block for you to tap it in.

Finished up the final touches on a PI Intake swap on my '96 GT this morning. I started on Tuesday but between crappy cold and drizzly weather, me not being in a big hurry and unanticipated delays, it took a couple extra days. I've been wanting to do the PI swap forever but kept putting it off. I was finally forced to when the car started leaking coolant near the intake - turned out to be the gasket and not the intake but mo point putting the stocker back on when there's a perfectly good PI sitting in the garage.

Tuesday: flushed out the cooling system and tore everything down.

The old coolant was dirty but clean, if you know what I mean, and overdue for replacement. The radiator was easy enough to drain and then the book said to simply remove the block drain plugs on either side to empty the block. Hah! They failed to mention that the drain holes are under the engine mounts! So, instead, I stuffed a garden hose in every coolant hose I could fine till it ran clear. At some point I took the thermostat out, put the hose in the degas tank, fired the car up and let the water pump push fresh water through everything and back out the upper radiator hose.

Actually removing the intake wasn't much trouble and didn't take very long. Left the fuel rails in the car and pushed them to the side out of the way. Disconnected the wiring harness from the crank sensor back to the firewall and pushed it to either side. Disconnected the EGR valve from the throttle body and left it in the car because I was afraid the EGR tube would twist rather than come out of the valve.

The water pump was a bitch to get out. It broke my 5 pound sledge (well, the handle, which was kinda old and rotted anyway). I broke both ears off the pump prying on it. After banging on it with a hammer on a chunk of wood for a while, I finally got enough of a gap to get the crow bar in there and pry it out. The heater tube in the valley was a pain too with the two bolts on the back of the head - the PI tube mount is much better. The nipple was a bastard too - it took a lot of pounding to break loose and by the time it finally broke loose, the end was too deformed to fit through the hole. I cut off the deformed part with a tiny plumber's pipe cutter - beat the hell out of taking a hacksaw to it.

I planned to RTV the coolant ports in two stages, first I'd fill the corner of the port with RTV and then later, when I put the intake on, I'd RTV the gasket to the glob in the port. That way, I could be satisfied that the RTV in the head was going to be up to the job before I bolted the intake on. I knew the curing times were going to be longer because of the cold weather so I started that as soon as I could and then worked on other stuff.

Mid-afternoon I remembered that I forgot to ever get the 2nd coolant sensor hole drilled and tapped so I set off in search of a machine shop who could knock that out. Finally found a place that could do it and they said it'd be ready the next day which was fine because I wasn't going to do much more that day anyway and they said it's be $15 for a drill & tap which sounded good to me.

Wednesday: Replaced all the injector O-rings and pintel caps while watching the Overhaulin' marathon on DSC.

Called the machine shop around lunchtime to see if my intake was ready - no, they had to order a tap (wtf!?) and it wouldn't be ready for another day. Argh! I checked on the RTV and apparently it was just too cold for it to set up properly. One of them didn't stick at all and came right off when I poked it - the other stuck a little better but was still uncured in the middle, even after almost 20 hours. I decided to start over and JB Weld the heads instead. I cut little triangular forms out of card stock and taped them into place with duct tape to keep the JB Weld from running all over the place before it set up - the paper forms worked perfectly and the small amount of paper left in there would just dissolve easily. I think that was about all I did Wednesday as it started raining and it was too freaking cold to be working without sunshine.

Thursday: Slept late and got off to a late start.

Called the machine shop mid-morning and the intake was ready. Got down there to pick it up and asked the guy for a new battery terminal clamp while I was there and he grabs one and says, "OK, that'll be $47." I asked him how much the terminal was and he said two dollars. I told him that I was expecting the intake to be $15 dollars and not $45 and he started protesting but then said fine and gives it to me for $15. Then he starts saying something about them getting $65/hr for labor and I'm thinking, yeah, that sounds about right 'cause it should be a 10 or 15 minute job. Anyway, back to work.

The JB Weld was cured, at least enough to start working on so I grabbed a file and started grinding it down level with the head. Then I cleaned out the intake ports and spark plug holes, pulled the plugs and turned the motor over a few times to get any coolant & gas that might still be hanging around out of the cylinders. Put the PI intake on and got it bolted down - I did put some extra RTV around the corner of the coolant ports in case there were any surface imperfections.

Started putting everything else back together. Put a new water pump in. Found a vacuum line that was broken in that network of tiny plastic lines that come off the throttle body so I had to go later get a piece of tiny vacuum hose to patch it. The PCV elbow was in bad shape too but I couldn't find the correct piece so it's temporarily fixed with a piece of coolant hose while I procure the correct elbow. I broke off the temp sensor when mounting it on the PI intake, then, not learning from my mistake, I managed do crack the temp sending unit too so I had to pick up a pair of them while I was out.

I had both a a NPI and PI alternator and a PI bracket. I would have had to cut a arm off the PI bracket because it hit the temp sending unit and it also didn't have the stand-offs for the spark plug wire so I used my NPI alternator and modified the old bracket by drilling a new mounting hole where it attaches to the intake - I was only able to drill one side because the leg of one of the stand-offs was in the way of where the 2nd hole would be. I'm going to go by the Ford dealer and see if I can get the correct alternator bracket for a NPI car with an aluminum corssover intake because mine is ugly and could potentially let the alternator get out of alignment, although it's probably unlikely.

Every thing went back together smoothly, although I had to unbolt the fuel rails a couple of times because I kept forgetting what needed to go on first and then I was trying to figure out how the wiring harness was supposed to snake through there. I also snapped a throttle body mounting bolt - it doesn't seem to be leaking there but I'm going to have to pull the TB and see if I can get it out before it does start causing problems.

Finally got the car completely back together except for the strut tower brace late afternoon and fired it up. I started up but was missing on one cylinder - I cut it off and reseated all the plug wires and injector connectors and started it up again. This time it was hitting on all cylinders but I started smelling gas from the engine compartment - I found fuel pooling around the number 5 & 6 injectors. I pushed on the fuel rail and wiggled the injectors around and tried again and then I found that the gas was coming from the schrader valve. Poking it a few times didn't fix it but then I realized there was a valve I could grab off the PI rails I wasn't using. I started to swap them but then decided to call it a day because company was coming over and I needed to get cleaned up and I should probably really let the RTV cure a while longer before I put any pressure on it.

Friday: swapped schrader valve out, started car and let it come up to temp while monitoring the water level and watching for leaks. Got a little scare as the block started getting warm and the residual coolant and other gunk that had gotten in the valley burned off. Once that was gone, I couldn't find any leaks and everything seemed to be working properly.

I took it for a drive and it felt good - took it out on a windy back road once I was reasonably sure it wasn't going to blow up and was able to really flog it. Power feels really good all the way up to 6K RPMs now - wish I had shorter gears and a closer ratio transmission so I could use more than just 2nd gear. Part throttle response feels better too - crisper and more responsive at low, cruising RPMs - although it's possible that I accidentally fixed some minor vacuum leak along the way. The car sounds a little different too, throatier and more aggressive.

I think I hit all the highlights and lowlights.

You will def sound even better when you swap out the heads!!

Bumping this thread one more time with some alternator bracket info - some of this is covered in other places if you dig for it, but I thought I'd organize what I found and learned in one place for future searchers.

A lot of guides and threads mention offhand you can reuse one of the brackets when you do a PI swap but without much detail so I thought I'd clarify that a little bit.

There are four different alternator brackets:
  • NPI plastic intakes
  • NPI updated intakes with aluminum coolant crossover tube
  • PI plastic intakes
  • PI intakes with aluminum coolant tube

NPI brackets have standoffs for the sparkplug wires to keep them off the alternator and out of the serpentine belt. PI brackets do not have these.

NPI alternators have one upper mount on the back of the alternator offset to the left of center. PI alternators have 2 mounts at either side of the front of the alternator.

The bracket-to-intake mounting holes for plastic intakes are further back relative to the alternator than the those for intakes with aluminum crossovers and the mounting holes are spaced about 1cm wider. The right-hand mounting hole on a PI plastic intake is also set back several inches further than on a NPI platic intake.

You can see some of the differences below:
DSC_1617.JPG

Left: NPI bracket for plastic intake - Center: NPI bracket for aluminum crossover intake - Right: PI bracket for aluminum crossover intake - Not Pictured: PI bracket for plastic intake (See RedDaemon's post below)

The original NPI bracket for plastic intakes can be used on an aluminum crossover intake with some modification. You need to redrill the upper left bolt hole lower to match the relocated hole on the aluminum crossover. There's nowhere to put the righthand hole so the modified bracket is unsupported on that side, which may or may not cause problems with alternator alignment. You can see the new hole on the lower left-hand side of the bracket here:

DSC_1619.JPG

I missed slightly and the bracket sat a little crooked but the distance between the alternator and intake mounting holes was correct so it didn't matter. Measure better than me and it will look better on the car :p

Another way to make this bracket work is to redrill the alternator mounting hole higher up on the bracket and use a bushing to space it correctly off the alternator. Then you'd have to enlongate the upper right bolt hole to account for the different spacing and cut out a good chunk of the bottom of the bracket to clear the alternator. This involves a lot more cutting but would allow you to bolt down the bracket at all three locations for maximum stability.

The PI bracket for aluminum crossover intakes can also be made to work if you change to a PI style alternator too. The right side of the bracket needs to be trimmed though because it interferes with the coolant sending unit if you've put it in the factory location. The PI brackets have no provision for the sparkplug wire standoffs either so you'll have to rig something up to keep them from potentially arcing to the alternator or getting caught in the belt.

The PI bracket for plastic intakes is of no use unless you're installing a plastic PI intake and just really want to use a PI alternator and are willing to rig up your sparkplug wires. Shouldn't cause any fitment issues because you'd have to put the temp sending unit somewhere else anyway. Really though, just reuse the NPI alternator and bracket for simplicity's sake. This bracket can be reused if you are replacing a PI plastic intake with a PI updated aluminum crossover intake on a PI car by drilling a new hole for the right-hand bracket-to-intake mount - see RedDaemon's post below.

The correct bracket for this application was only $13 at my local Ford dealer so I recommend just getting that and saving yourself some hassle. It's part# 1W7E-10153-EA and just tell the parts guy you need an alternator bracket for a 96,97, or 98 Mustang GT with updated intake manifold with aluminum coolant crossover tube and they should be able to find it.

I also found an issue with the t-stat housing. The NPI housings have much larger bolt holes so they can slip over bushings in the intake manifold that keep you from overtightning and cracking the plastic. The t-stat housings for aluminum intakes have normal sized bolt holes. On the t-stat housing that came with my PI intake, the upper radiator hose connects at a different angle than the one for my original NPI intake. I'm not sure if this is because the PI intake was from a non-Mustang or if the upper hose was changed for PI Mustangs but I couldn't use it because the hose would interfere with the driver-side coilpack, assuming it would reach in the first place. The NPI housing works fine though, you just have to take care in keeping it centered on the bolt holes when snugging it down.

You can see some of the differences below:
DSC_1617.JPG

Not Pictured: PI bracket for plastic intake (similar to bracket on right but with longer arms)

ill add a picture of the alternator bracket for a 99+ Alternator bracket for an all plastic intake. The reason for the captions in the picture is because this is a picture I took that I use in my writeup for those that need to replace their broken plastic intake in 99-01's. It isnt necessary to buy a new bracket - just drill a new hole like what I did. click the image for a significantly larger picture

altbracket.jpg

ill add a picture of the alternator bracket for a 99+ Alternator bracket for an all plastic intake. The reason for the captions in the picture is because this is a picture I took that I use in my writeup for those that need to replace their broken plastic intake in 99-01's. It isnt necessary to buy a new bracket - just drill a new hole like what I did. click the image for a significantly larger picture

altbracket.jpg

Ah, thanks for adding that. I didn't notice on the plastic PI intake I have that the mounting hole on the right was set so far back - I'll update the description in my previous post.

Thanks for the info.
I was thinking about doing the PI swap but wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle.:shrug:
Does anybody have any dyno numbers to confirm what the real gains are with the PI swap?

I'm sure there must be some dyno sheets somewhere if you look around long enough.

If I recall correctly, the PI cams are worth 8~15 HP, the PI intake is 15~25 HP, and a full PI head swap with intake gets you 50~60 HP.

I can tell you subjectively that the PI cams to my stock motor extended the usable power band from about 5000 RPM to 5500 RPM and adding the intake extended it again all the way out to 6000 RPM. The difference past 5000 RPM is dramatic compared to the stock NPI cams and intake. Any and all portions of the PI swap are well worth doing if you've got a NPI car.

I'm sure there must be some dyno sheets somewhere if you look around long enough.

If I recall correctly, the PI cams are worth 8~15 HP, the PI intake is 15~25 HP, and a full PI head swap with intake gets you 50~60 HP.

I can tell you subjectively that the PI cams to my stock motor extended the usable power band from about 5000 RPM to 5500 RPM and adding the intake extended it again all the way out to 6000 RPM. The difference past 5000 RPM is dramatic compared to the stock NPI cams and intake. Any and all portions of the PI swap are well worth doing if you've got a NPI car.

mine will pull to about 6100 rpm now but my npi heads are ported a little, and ive got a kill tune on it.. im about to pick up a set of pi heads and port them, so im gonna look for another 30+ hp with those...

but the cams and intake, really wake up a lil pos npi mustang..

Yea, with PI intake and cams, along with exhaust and a programmer, I was in the 8's in the 1/8 mile, at almost 80 mph. I haven't personally seen a mostly stock PI GT get that far but once or twice. The cams and intake are responsible for the vast majority of the power made from the entire PI swap, probably 30-35 of the 45-50 total, with a good bit of that extra 10 hp coming from the bump in compression.

mine will pull to about 6100 rpm ...

Yeah, last night I bounced off the rev limiter for the first time ever since I've had the car and it surprised the hell out me. Before, the car nosed over so much at high RPM that it felt like the car must've had a soft limiter above 5500 RPM - nope! That was just the cams & intake choking the motor. Now I know, it's definitely a hard limiter up there around 6100~6200 RPM :rlaugh: