picking the right drag suspension

Wicked65

Aug 10, 2003
NORCAL
I have been looking for a few weeks now for a shop to do the mini tub and rear suspension/drivetrain setup for my 65 coupe. Ive got prices ranging from $1200 plus parts to $6000 plus parts. Basically i was first going to go with caltracs, mono leaf springs with rancho shocks, a shortend 8.8 and mini tub. I went to a chassis builder yesterday that suggested going with a coil over instead of the leaf springs. and doing something close to a ladder bar setup. Motor will have at least 600rwhp through a C4. He says to me that im wasting my time with the leafs and caltracs, and that it will never hook up with just doing that setup. He Suggests the above setup. is he right? Im trying to bracket race this car, so obviously, i need consistant times which means good 60ft. But, if im just spending money to make his house payment..lol.. i dont need to do that either. He quoted me $3200 for mini tub, shortend axle housing, coilover setup, ladder bars and 10pt 4330 cage. I know its a lot of work, and a lot of stuff. Im actually going to look at a camaro that he did the same thing to, so i can get a idea about it. (ill take pictures and post them up) I just want to make sure im getting the right stuff for my car for a street strip setup. SO, if you have experience setting up a classic car and drag racing it, and get very consistant times, help me out..thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You can hook up and be consistent with CalTracks. I have them on my Mustang.

69MustangRacecars005.jpg

After the car was painted and on a bad track no transbrake and leaving from idle.

P12520401.jpg

I've been considering Competition Engineering's Slide-A-Links, which are similar to Caltracs, but with a little extra preload.

Does anyone know if installing these will HURT any type of driving? I will be doing more than just straight line driving. I live in the wine-country and the roads around here are fairly curvy.

I'd also like to know how much a 4.5 or 5 leaf spring will make a difference over my new stock springs?

goto the caltrac website and look at home many people waste time with leaf springs. Moneymaker.com sales suspensions parts and is very knowledgeable about drag suspension on old stangs.

oh i have seen plenty of people using them. But the guy told me that the caltracs just wipe out the front of the leaf spring. And that general driving is better with the coil overs. either way, i know i need to do something. hell, if i knew how to do a mini tub, i would probably give all this stuff a shot myself. after looking at a couple suspension setups, ive pretty much got it figured out where they weld stuff and what not. its just the little things like, where to put the coilovers at? how much travel.. blah blah. blah!

oh i have seen plenty of people using them. But the guy told me that the caltracs just wipe out the front of the leaf spring. And that general driving is better with the coil overs. either way, i know i need to do something. hell, if i knew how to do a mini tub, i would probably give all this stuff a shot myself. after looking at a couple suspension setups, ive pretty much got it figured out where they weld stuff and what not. its just the little things like, where to put the coilovers at? how much travel.. blah blah. blah!

It is amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it!

It is amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it!

OH, im so sorry that i dont have a fabrication shop in my backyard. I guess you do. And thanks for questioning my mechanical capabilities instead of saying, hmm.. i wonder if this guy is working in his garage? I wonder if he cant aford thousands of dollars in fabrication equipment.. hmm.. ol well, i guess ill just talk some trash.. Yes.. yes, thats the best answer. UMMM, you dont know me, so how about you dont tell me what i can and cant do.:bs::nono:

OH, im so sorry that i dont have a fabrication shop in my backyard. I guess you do. And thanks for questioning my mechanical capabilities instead of saying, hmm.. i wonder if this guy is working in his garage? I wonder if he cant aford thousands of dollars in fabrication equipment.. hmm.. ol well, i guess ill just talk some trash.. Yes.. yes, thats the best answer. UMMM, you dont know me, so how about you dont tell me what i can and cant do.:bs::nono:

.....working out of my garage, welding in a roll cage and a 4 link rear suspension with coilovers.... mustang II front and subframe connectors, wheel tubs and a replacement rear floor. oh, and i've never done it before, but there is a ton of help online and from the equipment manufacturer.
matt