Engine Piston Questions

SyberSaint

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2000
San Antonio, Texas
Hello all,

I have a 2002 Saleen with a series II supercharger. The engine is knocking, and I am going to pull it to have it rebuilt.
I have an opportunity to purchase a set of new forged pistons and rods. My 4.6 is a 2 valve. The pistons I can buy are standard bore for a 3 valve....What I want to know is if they will work in my 2 valve without any loss of compression.

Standard bore, Compression height is 1.22, intake-valve relief is -0.06, and dish depth is -0.07, clearance 0.0020...

Any help is appreciated,
Dale

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't have all the answers, but a few comments that may help you in the decision.
the valve reliefs if the 3 valve won't match the pattern on your 2v. it probably wouldn't cause interference, but may effect the quench area. Also, I think the dish volume is much less than the 2v, which would bump up your compression, whmich isn't necessarily a good thing for a blower engine.
Last comment, the pistons are standard bore, but until the engine is torn down and checked, you can't be certain the engine can be rebuilt in standard bore.