POLL: which weight oil do you all use???

• Sponsors (?)

Castrol GTX 10W30 NON synth... Also a 500 ml bottle of GM Engine oil supplement in every oil change. I swear by this stuff.

Back in April of 1999 I when I had my T Type, I had a motor redone by a place in Toronto and on the way home in the T, it wiped the thrust bearing. The shop [their initials are N P - for Buick guys on here] told me to drive it like that and that I was hearing things, and if it broke in the 3 months they guaranteed the engine they'd fix it... Basically "get lost....". :rolleyes:

I couldnt afford another rebuild, and this was my only car. So, I tried to blow the motor up just wiht my normal driving and lotsa track visits. A guy I knew recommended the GM EOS just incase it outlasted 3 months... It lasted all season.. and best that year was a 1.61, 12.40 @ 105 :rlaugh: with the crank ready to come apart. But it was really clunking at the end there. :shrug: In 2000 when I built my own motor to put in, we pulled this one apart and I can't believe bad things didn't happen from crank walk because you could take the thrust bearing, place it inside its journal in the crank, and move it up and down and it would make a "bing bing bing" noise and there was quite the gap in there :nonono:

Soooo thats just what I run. the GTX 10W30 and 500ml of GM EOS.

I have been thinking about switching to 20W-50 in my car because the summers here are pretty bad. It hovers int he high 90,s with very high humitidy. I have decent pressure like 25 at idle and about 40-45 at 2K rpm's. I am just wondering if switching to 20W-50 will put any extra strain on my 115K mile oil pump?

noslow5_0 said:
so running a slightly heavier oil wont cure my very tiny oil burning problem???the motor only has like 2000 miles on it.... i dont know whats going on. it didnt do this till i fixed every vacum leak on it...

Are you losing oil through your PCV?

Anyways, Valvoline 10w30 Synthetic here

hmm...so thicker oil helps keep oil pressure up then? wish I woulda known that 4 days ago when I changed my oil with the usual motorcraft 10w30

...pressure likes to dip now and again, and its hot as hell here

I use Valvoline 20/50 Racing. Of course my engine has 159,000 miles on it, so my tolerances are a whole lot looser than most....
I have been using this in a well built 351W roller motor (similiar to 1st gen Lightning) as well. Engine only has maybe 3000 mile son it tops, should I be running thinner oil, or synthetic?
Well-reputed local hot-rod shop I know of uses Valvoline 20/50 Racing in everything they build. The tolerances are incredibly tight in their engines, and they still choose 20/50. Dunno what that means, maybe because most of the engines they build are designed to make big HP's and spin hard.

Well for me I use 10w-30 in the winter , & 20w-50 for the summer. This winter we got down to -12 degree's at one point & last summer we hit peaks of over 104 degree's.

If you've ever tried to pour 20w-50 when it's 30 degree's outside you'll know why I'd never run it in the winter. Worse than molassas lol.

BTW I alwasy use Castrol non synthetic in all my cars never had an issue.Oh & I also have HV oil pump just incase:)