popping through passenger side exhaust

88LX5.Oh

15 Year Member
Dec 30, 2011
Arkansas
I've had this issue with my car for weeks now. It'll just randomly pop out of the passenger side exhaust. There's no consistency to it at all. Sometime it'll run fine for a few seconds and then randomly start popping. Also when I start the car, it doesn't want to do fast idle like a fuel injected car should do on start up. What I've done, that for some reason makes it temporarily go away, is jump up the fuel pressure by a few lbs. It'd go away and I'd think I had it fixed, then it would come back outta nowhere. I had the fuel pressure set so high that #1 spark plug (haven't checked more) had black crap all over it and on cold starts it wouldn't wanna run at all (simply turned the pressure back down to 40 and it starts a whole lot better when cold)

I can't remember the codes off the top of my head, but there's like 2 EGR codes, code 15, and code 96 which 96 should now be resolved by me doing the sense wire from the fuel pump relay to the computer. So we don't have to worry about 96 anymore. I'm not getting any codes for any sensors or anything like that but I've already tried cleaning the MAF and I replaced the O2's a few months ago so those should be good. And I have adjustable rocker arms but I've checked twice to make sure I don't have any on the passenger side too tight or too loose.

Any suggestions?

I also think I have an intake gasket leak because I'm getting coolant in my oil, could this possibly cause a backfire through the exhaust?

• Sponsors (?)

Coolant in oil = bad
Antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol) has an active ingredient that rapidly deteriorates engine bearings.

Water in your oil might cause a hydrolic lifter to collapse thus not opening your valve enough and give you a "pop" out of the exhaust or even your intake depending on which valve might be affected.

Either way, remove your intake, inspect your lifters (replace as nessisary) and seal up that water leak.