Portable Battery Charger / Engine Starter

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
OK, I’ve had it! I’m sick of playing with my little trickle charger. I’m going to Sears and get something substantial. Why Sears? – Cause I’m impatient and want it now. Which one of these would best suit the purpose of starting parts and project cars once in a while?

Sears Battery Charger / Engine Starters

I have no need for 6V, but should I assume higher AMPs are better? Is there such thing as too much Amperage?

Thanks in advance for any quick replies.

• Sponsors (?)

You know, I've used these portable ones (different brand but same idea) a gazillion times and they work great:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...2871472000&subcat=Battery+Chargers+&+Boosters
For occasional use, it's super-convenient, and doesn't need to be plugged in when you're using it, so it's great for alongside the road, that Shelby in the farmer's barn, etc.

There's no such thing as too many amps. That's just a capacity rating -- the car will only draw what it needs.

reenmachine said:
You know, I've used these portable ones (different brand but same idea) a gazillion times and they work great:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...2871472000&subcat=Battery+Chargers+&+Boosters
For occasional use, it's super-convenient, and doesn't need to be plugged in when you're using it, so it's great for alongside the road, that Shelby in the farmer's barn, etc.

There's no such thing as too many amps. That's just a capacity rating -- the car will only draw what it needs.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "portable". I'm tired of waiting for things to "charge". I was thinking more along the lines of one of the top 3 on my link.

I'd probably get the middle one then. The top one's overkill unless you're working on RVs or something or using it every day, but it's nice to have the 4 settings instead of the 3 the cheapest one has. Sometimes you want a setting between trickle and gonzo fast charge, like if you're testing your electrical system or something.