ported heads & cams..rev to 6500??

• Sponsors (?)

If I were to throw on a set of stage 2 ported heads by Total Engine Airflow and a set of cams from MHS probably stage 2 along with a Hardball'r intake, would I make power out to about 6500 maybe a tad bit more?

go with an edelbrock mani, MHS stage 3+ cam, and spin it to 7000, im shifting at 7000 right now cause im having a fuel problem, 7200 will probably be my perfect shift point with the eddy intake, and MHS 3.5 cams.

The shortblock would be stock so I dont think what you suggested would work. lol. I chose the hardballr cause my buddy has one installed on his gt and the car is just sitting with a laundry list of things that need to be done to get it road worthy so I figured I'd take whatever I can get for free.

I just want something that will give me a little more power and let me rev higher since Ill soon be replacing my 3.73s with 4.10s.

If you are pulling the heads, its not that much more work to pull the rods and pistons. Swapping in a set of 4V pistons with an intake notch and cheap forged rods is a night and day difference in what you can do cam and power wise.

If I were to throw on a set of stage 2 ported heads by Total Engine Airflow and a set of cams from MHS probably stage 2 along with a Hardball'r intake, would I make power out to about 6500 maybe a tad bit more?

Hi,
Your assembly of components is one thing, it's their designed intentions for the details that will help you make that goal.
Specifically, start with a billet ground cam (not stating your choice is not), whose events are designed for making power at your RPM goals. Match it with a high quality valve train designed to transfer the cam events to the valves. The heads have to be of such design as to flow at those RPMs. Obviously, the intake and injectors/carb need to be sized to meet the delivery of fuel.
So, it's matter of thinking it all through, and if those choices have the capability. You don't say "how much power".
Oh yeah, you can get there, but, will it hold together? Will it make the power(?) without looses due to weak spring pressures, improper length PRs, a deflecting non-billet cam, cheap lifters, and rockers.
That "tad more" is dependent on your attention to detail.
Good Luck!

Any 4v piston would do? Wouldn't that raise my compression to around 12:1 as well?

Wanting a CR of 12.1, what is the intended goal of this engine?
It takes knowledge of other issues than just pistons to make the CR you mentioned, not to mention, them all playing nice together.
It is common convention and erroneous thinking that we have the CR we we think we do. You have to do the math and pay the price.
good Luck!

The shortblock would be stock so I dont think what you suggested would work. lol. I chose the hardballr cause my buddy has one installed on his gt and the car is just sitting with a laundry list of things that need to be done to get it road worthy so I figured I'd take whatever I can get for free.

I just want something that will give me a little more power and let me rev higher since Ill soon be replacing my 3.73s with 4.10s.

you can spin the stock bottom end up to about 7k, and go with atleast 4.30's

If you are pulling the heads, its not that much more work to pull the rods and pistons. Swapping in a set of 4V pistons with an intake notch and cheap forged rods is a night and day difference in what you can do cam and power wise.

exactly what im running!

I dunno, if I were going to all the trouble of rebuilding my shortblock, then my car better be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 ponies at the tires, preferably with some forced induction.

Why go to tons of trouble just to pick up 5 horses here, 2 horses there, etc. with each little mod.