Possible dummy questions about Terminator X tuning

Ethereal_Zer0

Jul 23, 2023
Long story short I bought a car with a terminator x system and it's had a few tuning issues. Wondering if there is anywhere I can have someone take a look at the tune and just see if there is anything glaring since I have nothing else for reference. Not asking for someone to fix it/tune the car, just hoping someone can point out any obvious beginner type mistakes with how I have it set up now. Overall it runs just fine but I've spent the last year I have had it fixing little stuff and narrowing down what was tune related and what was parts related (had a wobbly distributor and bad fuel regulator that caused me some serious headaches).

Recently I got my idle smoothed out, that was an issue that I have been fighting since I bought the car. It would occasionally just not catch itself when returning to idle and the car would stall. Now that I have that smoothed out I have started doing some highway pulls and the car is hesitating/stuttering/hitching between 3500-6000 RPM. It starts off pulling hard and strong but I noticed in one of the data logs (only looked through this one so far since it was a good example of the issue) that the computer is pulling fuel (-5%) and also pulling timing (from 39 degrees down to 31.5). Only thing I could think of is that it is trying to meet the 14.7 A/F called for in that table. I haven't messed with the A/F table or spark table at all, just fuel while trying to smooth the curve a bit. I've just transferred the learn table to adjust that though.

Do I need to just adjust my A/F table in that RPM/MAP range to something more like 12.5 (that where it is when it is pulling hard and strong). Or do I need to adjust the ignition timing? Anywhere I can post the tune/pics of the tables (not sure if that is allowed in this forum, I remember reading something about them taking up too much space or something)?

Haha sorry I'm new both to tuning and the Holley system. Learning the Holley system is a chore alone in some regards. Thanks all!

Edit: Forgot, here are some details about the car in case it matters. 306 w/ ProMaxx 170/180 (I forget) aluminum heads, 30lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, lunati cam, and ported gt40 intakes. No spark box or anything.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Get the A/F to 12.5:1 at WOT first.
Then adjust timing from there if needed.
You can always set timing low (32*) to be safe and once the A/F is ok then adjust timing up to best power.
If you know how to read spark plugs that helps. But you will have to shut off the engine at the end of a WOT run to get real plug readings. By the time you drive back to the shop or home, any plug reading at WOT is gone. You read the ground strap on the plug for timing and the first thread on the spark plug for fuel rich/lean

Ok thanks, I'll give that a go. I actually just pulled a plug the other day just to get an idea and the ground strap was white-ish (I'm guessing a little hot from too much timing?) and the first thread is black from the car running rich for a while (think I have that dialed in much better now).

I appreciate the help, it's been daunting to do this all without a measuring stick of sorts lol. I don't want to accidentally blow up my motor!