Question about swapping trannmies.

Bornstanger

Uncle 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'er
Founding Member
Oct 20, 2001
Strongsville, OH
hey guys. well i'm really starting to regret not getting a stick when i got my stang. i don't have the money to get a new or used car nor do i want to sell this car. so the only option i have is to swap out my auto for a stick. now if i did this i would only want to swap my auto for a t-56, this way it would be said and done so i wouldn't have to worry too much about breaking the tranny when i really start making power. my question is could you guys give me a detailed list of parts that would be needed. if there's a write up for a procedure for this, a link would be greatly appreciated. thanx for any and all help you guys can give me.

• Sponsors (?)

Careful on that T56 though. They're not rated much higher in terms of tq capacity than our beloved 3650 and if anyone is building something stronger than a viper spec t56 it's news to me.

I am having to go with a X2C V1.0 TKO. Why not just get a good convertor, valve body, and keep the auto?

i'm weighing my options to go that route too. the reason is because i love being able to shift my own gears all the time, like on my bike...god is that fun :D. anyhow my next vehicle probably isn't gonna be a stang, so i want to be able to row the gears in my car. anyhow like i said, i'm still weighing the options. what is the t-56's torque capacity rated at?

cool, says on there the t-56 is rated at 440+ lbs of tq. i wonder how much a viper spec t-56 is rated at? looks like i would also have to get a shorter driveshaft as well from the information on that site.

Bornstanger said:
cool, says on there the t-56 is rated at 440+ lbs of tq. i wonder how much a viper spec t-56 is rated at? looks like i would also have to get a shorter driveshaft as well from the information on that site.
I believe they sell complete swap kits as well. If I remember correctly the viper spec t56 is rated at 550 tq.

awesome...that would be enough power capacity for me for a while. after i slap a blower on there, which won't be for a long while...he he, then maybe i would be in trouble. otherwise it seems a viper spec t-56 tranny would be the one to get if i did this swap.