Ranger Header is in

Dan P.

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
N.C.
Brantley and I got my Ranger Header put in on Wed. Brantley was able to weld the EGR bung shut and we cut off the extra part of the EGR tube that was in the way of the header. Man what a difference, there was a nice improvement in low end torque and power. The stock cast piece of crap header is a joke, the new header is way better. I would recommend it to any N/A guys out there.
The only thing left to do is put a header gasket in to stop a leak and I am going to make a plate to put in between the EGR system and the upper intake so I can plug the vacuum tube back in so the check engine light will go off. (I hope)

A big thanks goes out to Brantley for helping me out :nice: And pics to come later.

• Sponsors (?)

Great, glad to hear you're happy with it! Many people are anti-Ranger header, but I tell ya, it does make a difference. I think for the price, it is a great option. Sure, you could get a bit more power from a longtube, but that's a lot of work. Not bolt in.

James - I don't know about Dan's car, but on my 2 cars, the Ranger header did not change the sound enough for me to notice.

My header came from a 96 Ranger, but did not come with a O2 bung. I had to have one welded in. There are headers that come with one and there are ones that dont, it depends on what year they are from. I think that any header from 94-97 will work fine. I got mine from ebay for $50, but I am sure you can find one for less.
Dan

I got a good reason to do the swap, the stock cast header weighs 25lbs :eek: where the Ranger one weighs 6lbs. :nice:
Well I just got done with putting the new gasket in and making a plate to shut off the EGR system. I just used some scrap sheet metal and cut a plate the same size of the face of the return that fits to the upper intake.
attachment.php

attachment.php