Remove Crankshaft Pulley?

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
Trying to swap out timing chain and have a dumb question. How do you remove the crankshaft pulley nut ? I know I need a special tool for the damper but shop manual says just remove pulley but of course the crankshaft turns when you try to remove nut. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks

70 Cleveland 4v.

• Sponsors (?)

about all you can do is keep after the bolt with an impact gun. i know some guys use a breaker bar and a cheater bar, and then cranki the engine over to break the bolt loose. you might try that.

"i know some guys use a breaker bar and a cheater bar, and then crank the engine over to break the bolt loose. you might try that."

That's what I've done lately. I know it's probably not the smartest way to do it, but I am currently without a compressor to power my impact gun. It works pretty well.

The last time I did it on my 289 I slid a large screw driver through the harmonic balancer, wedged it against the engine and used a breaker bar. It came loose with not too much effort. I've also done it befor by chocking the rear wheels, putting it in gear and then used a breaker bar. The key was chocking the rear wheels because even with it in gear the crank turned the engine and transmission when I tried to get the bolt loose. That's when I figured out I needed to chock the wheels. Still...the impact gun should work. Do you have enough PSI?