Replacing Battery Cable

• Sponsors (?)

ok, sounds easy enough? What attaches it to the starter? Anybody have a pic possibly of what it looks like....Im really a newbie at all this...despite taking on one or two crazy fixes so far.

Anytime you play with the postive battery cable, disconnect the negative one first. That way, if you drop a wrench or the wrench contacts the body, you won't short the battery, make sparks and break something.

The battery to solenoid cable is less than 14" long and is secured by one big nut on the solenoid. Mark and label all of the smaller wires that share the same stud on the solenoid before you take the nut off.

The starter to solenoid cable goes from the solenoid to the starter and runs under the front of the engine, just above the sway bar. The starter end can be hard to get the nut off and back on. Don't try to change this cable with a hot engine. You will get burned trying to change the cable if you do.

alright i went to autozone got the new positive cable I needed to replace (the guy picked it out at the store.) And when I got home i pulled it outta the box and had this little extra wire attached to it? My current positive does not have this? What am I supposed to do with it?

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 152
shlby123 said:
alright i went to autozone got the new positive cable I needed to replace (the guy picked it out at the store.) And when I got home i pulled it outta the box and had this little extra wire attached to it? My current positive does not have this? What am I supposed to do with it?
Tape or tiewrap it to the cable so it is out of the way.. Your battery cable was a universal fit, and some cars use that wire. The Mustang does not use it. I have been known to cut them off next to the clamp and cover the stub with RTV gasket sealer. The RTV keeps the acid from corroding the wire and causing problems later down the road.