Rio Red Progress Thread...

• Sponsors (?)

Lemme know how she does come winter time. I want a new edge stang for a DD but with the winters in jersey it worries me lol

Good tires and weight in the trunk are all you need. I carry a shovel and two or three bags of cat litter all winter. The cat litter is awesome when you get stuck on snow-covered ice, but if you have Blizzak tires or some other dedicated snow tire, you'll just need it for weight. And seriously, a little extra weight is amazingly helpful when driving on icy roads. Far more useful than I ever thought.

Clearance is the biggest issue I ever see when driving in Minnesota winters. Once the snow reaches the bottom of the car I'm basically SOL. But then again I use all-seasons instead of the snow tires I should be driving on. But this state is pretty good about keeping the roads clear.

You also will learn alot about momentum and finesse vs. brute force driving :)

dude, congrats, that is one badass GT, they looked good with the wheels before, and the car still looks great now. and a plus to find it all bolted up. When i was car shopping, i wanted a stock GT, but now when i think about it, with everything you got, and how clean it is, i definately wouldnt have minded to buying a bolt-on GT. Good pic up bro.

2000 Cobra R's FTW!!! Black Bullitts are starting to get old to me. I traded mine for my 18x9 polished Saleens. Don't regret it a bit.

looks sick.

Wow....the Cobra R's look good!

dude the cobra r's look badass! leave em! Everyone has bullets but those cobra r's stand out bigtime..

Thanks guys!!

Lemme know how she does come winter time. I want a new edge stang for a DD but with the winters in jersey it worries me lol

Haha, will do man. I'm a little worried myself. Long Island winters are no joke either! :(

I think those Cobra R's look great. Gives your car a Ferrari look to me.

Thanks! They do look kinda Ferrari-like, I guess it's the light grey paint. :nice:

dude, congrats, that is one badass GT, they looked good with the wheels before, and the car still looks great now. and a plus to find it all bolted up. When i was car shopping, i wanted a stock GT, but now when i think about it, with everything you got, and how clean it is, i definately wouldnt have minded to buying a bolt-on GT. Good pic up bro.

Thanks dude! I don't regret it at all. I love this car.

Super cleeeeeeaaaan Chris. All your cars never fail to impress...:nice:

Thanks Dustin!! Too bad you and I don't each have a clone of ourselves, then we could cruise 4 deep!! :D

Today I did a little switcheroo between the 2000 Cobra R wheels on my '99 and the FR500s on my '84 T-Top coupe. I think I might like this combo better. This is what boredom leads to... (Please don't murder me for how dirty the cars are, the pollen is crazy here and it's been raining!)

SS001-2.jpg

SS003-2.jpg

SS002-2.jpg

SS005-1.jpg

SS008.jpg

SS006.jpg

SS010.jpg

That 4-eyed Fox looks great :nice:

Don't want it to feel left out with all the love being showered on the '99 :D

Those early Foxes are really starting to tug at me these days. Such a great design, so crisp and clean, so purposeful and so full of the promise of a return to performance after the malaise of the mid seventies.

Not bad i actually like it?

let me say that 99 is simply awesome man. I'm def going to consider one for a DD :nice:

PS pollen is killing us here in NJ too

Thanks! I'd highly recommend one of these 2V cars for a DD. They seem to run forever with simple maintenance. The pollen is terrible! No matter what color your car is, it always looks yellow this time of year :mad:

That 4-eyed Fox looks great :nice:

Don't want it to feel left out with all the love being showered on the '99 :D

Those early Foxes are really starting to tug at me these days. Such a great design, so crisp and clean, so purposeful and so full of the promise of a return to performance after the malaise of the mid seventies.

Thanks for the compliments! Nothing beats a 4 eyed notch! :nice:

I had a feeling this might turn into a progress thread, haha! I have a bunch of parts on order for the car, mostly stuff to clean up the interior/exterior and a few tasteful touches. No performance mods until I decide what direction the car is gonna take. Here's a list of what I picked up:

> OEM '99 Cobra Hood (needs to be painted Rio Red)
> Cobra Leather Shift knob with 5 speed pattern
> Redline Goods shift boots for the shifter and e-brake (two-tone tan leather to match the interior)
> new OEM parchment gauge cluster bezel (old one had holes drilled in it for stereo stuff :mad:)
> new OEM utility compartment to replace the hack job of gauges currently in the radio area
> new OEM Mach 460 door tweeters out of an 04 Cobra
> 2004 Cobra steering wheel (just like the FR500 wheel!)
> billet cigarette lighter with "GT" logo :rolleyes:
> Florida 5.0 gauge pod with tach, oil pressure, and water temp (needs to be painted to match the interior)

Pics coming as progress happens :D

the 99 with the white wheels is sex. dont change a thing. its a great dd as it sits. the little additions are going to make it perfect. nice driveway you got together now. think it will stay this way for a couple months? :jester:

the 99 with the white wheels is sex. dont change a thing. its a great dd as it sits. the little additions are going to make it perfect. nice driveway you got together now. think it will stay this way for a couple months? :jester:

Thank you! I always aim for tasteful and relatively subtle mods. It's crazy how much a little touch like some custom leather shift boots and nicer steering wheel/seats will make the entire interior look like it's from a much higher-end vehicle. As for the driveway situation, you never know... :D

Both of you guys who are affraid of winter; fear not. Blizzaks make the GT one of the best winter vehicles I have ever had the pleasure of driving through the fluffly stuff.

I prefer to drive my GT over my wife's 4x4 Xterra in the snow/ice because of the added capabilities of the Blizzak's.

150lbs in the trunk help for weight. If she ever goes sideways, ease off of the gas, she'll come right back.

Snowmustangphoto.jpg

If you are worred about rust...use fluid film...environmentally safe and works very well.

Once a week run it through an undercarriage wash.

I also put lithium grease around the door seams to keep any salt from penetrating. 6 inches of unplowed snow was the most she walked through in a parking lot. Stopping and starting were no problems with the Blizzaks. The hardest stuff is the super muck that you sometimes have to plow through at an intersection. I just give it a little gas to clear out the treads and shoot some sweet roosts and it's rolling once again.

2v as a winter car FTMFW!

I reflashed the computer and I think I have the strange idle problem solved for now. Anyway, due to some serious damage that was done to the lip of the 17"x10" Bullitt on the rear of the car, I had to change wheels. I would have needed one wheel and four tires, and that's out of my price range at the moment. Instead, I traded for a set of 18x9 Cobra R's with almost-new tires on them. They aren't perfect, and I prefer the look of the black Bullits, but these will have to do for now.

100_0785.jpg

+1 for the Cobra R's. :nice:

Thank you! I always aim for tasteful and relatively subtle mods. It's crazy how much a little touch like some custom leather shift boots and nicer steering wheel/seats will make the entire interior look like it's from a much higher-end vehicle. As for the driveway situation, you never know... :D

You'll like the shifter and p-brake boots - I just put them both in mine and they're a huge improvement over the vinyl shift boot and half torn rubber dust guard that was in there. I've got the FRPP Cobra style shift knob too and I love it!

New leather wrap for the steering wheel is coming next. Eventually I'd like to put some nice looking and feeling, more comfortable and supportive seats in too.