rookie question for the gearheads

Jeffspeed24

Dec 22, 2003
i am interested in bringing back alive a modded 5.0L; and my friend has a 89 V6 with a good body and chassis. well since im replacing the engine, transmission and rearend anyway............will this be easy to convert. he is selling it for $2k, the car barely runns but im not worried about the V6, i already have a daily driver.

• Sponsors (?)

Jeffspeed24 said:
i am interested in bringing back alive a modded 5.0L; and my friend has a 89 V6 with a good body and chassis. well since im replacing the engine, transmission and rearend anyway............will this be easy to convert. he is selling it for $2k, the car barely runns but im not worried about the V6, i already have a daily driver.

Easy is a relative term. What are some of your restrictions? Carb; fuel injected? A/C power steering? If you can go carbed and want a street machine with not many creature comforts, then I say that is an easy swap.

If you dont have a complete donor car it is going to get expensive. All the little things will nickle and dime you to death. However, if you want to build a serious machine, then a swap is a good choice since you have to replace everything already, like FP, exhaust, wiring, etc, then it is no big deal to do it that way.

If you are going to do an engine swap, why waste time with a 302? Do a 351, or a 460, IMO.

BTW 89's did not come with 6's from the factory. They only came with 4 or 8.
Back in the very early 80s, there was a 6 and in 94 there was a 6.

well, for now i want it FI, but i dont want PS or A/C, all this just came up in my mind when i figred that its not practical to buy a new 05 on my budget. im going to get more info on the car, its his dad who has it, i seen it but never really thought about how many cylinders it had.
i will get a bigger engine and a mid-class PA C4 is all i know so far but i got alot of researching ahead. :/

PS and AC deletes make it that much easier. Big ticket items will be computer, FI wiring harness, rearend.

You may want to do a 5 lug conversion with SN95 brakes all the way around. Dont forget to add the price of new wheels to that converson. The 4cyl brakes are not going to be up to a V8 at speed.