SeaFoam- Good or Bad?

Play Fast

Nov 19, 2002
Virginia
SeaFoam- Need Mechanic Type Advice!!

A co-worker informed about a product to clean carbon deposits called Seafoam, so I went to their website http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm and found out that you can use it on your oil and gas tanks as well.

Has anyone on here used this product? Does it work well? What is the best way to apply it to clear out all the carbon deposits? Is there a better product out there to do this? I am considering getting it since I have never gotten the carbon deposits cleaned in my car.

Thank you in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I just dumped the can in my gas tank when it was really close to empty then filled it all the way up with 91 octane. My family has used in a lot of our vehicles and boats and it seems to do the job. It removed my hesitation at lower rpms on my car. There was a post about this yesterday maybe you should try a search.

I wouldn't think you would need it on an 01,but whatever.I used it on my 86 by unhooking a vacuum line and sucking it into the intake.You would not believe the amount of smoke that the car blew out.I could have fumigated the town. :rlaugh: I raced a vr-4 with it smoking like that, and beat him by about a carlength.He said that my car was fast and asked what I had done to it, and I just said "You should have seen it before the engine was blown".

Bump for help purposes!

I am about to use Seafoam on my car this weekend (10/2/04) and I am not very good with mechanic type stuff and have heard that it is best to let the Seafoam get sucked through the PCV Valve and was wondering if someone had a link to pictures (I have searched but have not found anything good enough to help me)? Or if someone can explain where the PCV valve is? :shrug:

I guess I should invest in a Haynes book for my car which I may do tonight but would like to hear how you guys have applied the Seafoam if you have?

:flag:

we use this stuff at work and most of the time we apply it through the brake booster vacumn line but since most stangs have a hydro booster i would run through any line coming off the intake or plenum

i have found that it seems like ford motors produce 1/5 of the amount of carbon that GMs do!!! Gms will smoke after 10k miles when using this stuff whereas fords will barely smoke after 100k miles

teh PCV is the big line coming off your valve covers. take it off, put it inthe can and rev the piss out of your motor, and it should stall out. go let it sit for 20 minutes, and then drive the crap out of your car. you will lay a smoke screen big enough to hide an aircraft carrier. also before an oil change, maybe 2 days, you can put about half a can in your oil and it should clean a bunch of stuff out. it relaly works. all the people i know that drive import, well i actually mean the ones that are smart and know about their cars, swear by the stuff.

I would never put this crap in my 2 or 3 year old Stangs...maybe after 10 years or so, but then I'd also run the risk of exposing lack of compression/leaking rings, etc - removing excessive carbon is not always a good thing. Why do you guys insist on cleaning out the inside of your engines?

twogts4us said:
I would never put this crap in my 2 or 3 year old Stangs...maybe after 10 years or so, but then I'd also run the risk of exposing lack of compression/leaking rings, etc - removing excessive carbon is not always a good thing. Why do you guys insist on cleaning out the inside of your engines?
also, don't you run the risk of blocking oil lines/filters and such? I mean all this stuff that was stuck is now flowing around. :shrug:

Thank you for the replies everyone, it is all very helpful :nice: :hail2:

JonJon the website says to use it every 2,000-5,000 miles for peak performance, I do not plan to use it that much. Maybe every 10-20k miles :shrug: I have 42k on my car now and it feels like my car gets bogged down sometimes when I stomp on it so that is why I want to do the Seafoam now. I am also going to put some in teh gas tank because I get hesitation there sometimes as well.

I can not wait to create a smoke screen afterwards :D

Play Fast said:
Thank you for the replies everyone, it is all very helpful :nice: :hail2:

JonJon the website says to use it every 2,000-5,000 miles for peak performance, I do not plan to use it that much. Maybe every 10-20k miles :shrug: I have 42k on my car now and it feels like my car gets bogged down sometimes when I stomp on it so that is why I want to do the Seafoam now. I am also going to put some in teh gas tank because I get hesitation there sometimes as well.

Let us know if it helped with teh hesitation a bogging you got going on.

Play Fast said:

o. I have 57k, 5 years old.
:shrug: But I don't know if I want to do that...