Selling Mustang? Need help please!

clev357

This one time in man camp...
Founding Member
Apr 12, 2001
Roswell, GA
I got a stupid email from someone the other day. I have my car listed on the classifieds here.

(Hello,
I was fortunate to spot your advert on the net and I like to know if it is still availabe for sale.If available,please get back to me with
the following enquiries:are you the first owner?

Last price?

Present condition?

Pics?

Where are you based?

I will paid you by money order ok...

E-mail:[email protected]

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=29179

So I gave a somewhat cocky reply because my add really should have answered all questions. Then I get this email the next day.
Hello,
Thanks for the info you gave me.its really my chioce. Its what i have been searching for for the last 6 months.Thanks for everything. Pls help me take good proper care of it cos i belive by now its mine.But right now the year is coming to an END and i can see that i finanaly got one. Really i want you to pls send more pics if available and if not its ok. Also i will offer u $17,600 for that and all i needed is ur assurance that is mine as from now. am higly eager in seeing it. pls dont respond to anybody again on this (car) cos i believe I am the rightful owner now. About the shipping, i will handle that myself. i shall contact my shipping agent to handle it. the payment is with a certified cashiers check which i believe is the best way. so convenient for me and if u are ok with that, get back to me today so that i could get the payment ready. I'm from Bronby, i live by the sea side in The Republic of Denmark cos am a SAILOR. I always come home (Bronby) every 4 Months and travel back to my place of work in Porto. I am really glad that you want me to get the (car) and i will be happy also when i actually get it.Pls email me back today.I'll need your data for the check, viz;

FULL NAME..

CONTACT ADDRESS..

CITY..

STATE...

ZIP CODE..

PHONE NUMBER... (HOME,OFFICE,CELL)

Pls mail me today to let me know i am the rightful owner of this car! Thanks for selling to me. Cheers

Would this scare anyone else?
Thanks, Tim
:SNSign: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah that's a little scary. I just sold a 94 RX-7 on the internet and I had to deal with way too many scams for my taste. I ended up selling to a guy in Texas. I told him before the car or title left my hands, I had to have confirmed cash in my other hand. Just tell him to send a 2K deposit (non-refundable) and then the rest a couple of weeks before you ship it off or he picks it up.

Oh yeah, most scams work like this.
Hey I'll send you 28K for your 20K car and you can take the other 8K and pay for the shipping to my country. If your bank trust you they'll make the funds available and then you ship the car off. About 3-4 weeks later the bank says hey you owe us 8K! Check fraud has gotten way too good lately! Those people troll autotrader and ebay all the time.
Be careful!

I replied to his email with the following.

I must say I'm a bit nervous dealing with someone out of the country. If you can find a reputable auto broker I will be happy to deal with you through them. Thanks, Tim

Does this seem reasonable?
Tim:shrug:

Seems 100% reasonable, if he is truthful, he will take you up on the autobroker. If not he will walk. Stick to your guns, as this sound like the typical scam. He would send you a fake moneyorder drawn off a non-existant accout and a truck to load up your car. With these new scams banks cannot tell if it is a valid money order until about 7 days later just like a check and by that time the scammer already has disposed of your car. Very typical scam, "Google" it.

Yeah I has heard of something like that before. I would not accept anything but a wire xfer. The email I sent as a reply was kicked back. It is really messed up. I knew there was no way it was true. I figured at the lease it was some dumb kid from another country. Oh well. Hopefully a real offer will show up.

Tim

Sounds like a big scam to me. When I sold my Mustang last year :)( ), I got a few of those e-mails, one was from a guy in England who said he would pay more for the car and would be coming over here to pick it up and wanted me to delete my ad, but as soon as I asked for a deposit to see if he was serious, all of a sudden he lost interest because he didn't realize the car was an automatic. Remember, it's your car, you make the terms of the deal and if they want it, they'll agree to them. :nice:

krash kendall said:
I have never heard of them actually being in it for the car. They always seem to be about some money transfer or 'overpayment/you send extra to my cousin' sort of thing.

Yup...I got one of those recently when trying to sell my wifes car. And this deal is probably no different.