Short block configuration

macoulombe

Nov 23, 2001
My fix to all the engine issues of my newly purchased 96 Mustang Cobra w/Vortech V2 SC is to build up a stroker engine. I am likely going to buy the Coast High Performance (CHP) 4.6L or 5.1L Streetfighter engine with 10.5cc dish http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_4_6.htm. The part that really has me stuck is which cam should I buy to go with this setup? I have read over a ton of threads on cams by or make: Comp, FR500, Crane (stage I/II), FRPP, VT, Anderson (B31), and a bunch of additional blower cams since I am FI. Not certain what "big lopey cams" means but that was thrown out there a few times. One site stated caution with cams with large amounts of lift and duration.
My car is going to be a daily driver with ideally a smooth idle that I can stomp on every once in a while for an adrenaline fix. I also want to ensure that I am emissions legal when all is done. With so many cam choices all touted as being great, I am really lost in all my research. Some narrowing of options would be great so that I do not regret my purchase after it is already installed. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)