SN 95 rack in Fox body

Va89Stang

Jan 13, 2024
Virginia
Hey I have a question.
Getting ready to install SN 95 rack in 89 GT. I found a kit on Detroit axle that comes with hubs for five conversion. It also has cobra Gt inner and outer tie rods. I think I saw someplace on a forum where you can use the cobra inner tie rod, attach fox body outer is this correct. The hubs will be used for a five lug conversion. I am currently collecting parts for that will go in next winter.

• Sponsors (?)

I have done this on both of my cars. You need a 94-04 rack and I used Maximum Motorsports hybrid steering shaft. I also used Fox inner and outer tie rods. The SN95 tie rods are metric thread and too long. The threads on the rack where the inner tie rod attaches is the same for Fox and SN95.

As for the five lug conversion it’s been done hundreds of times so search that as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I used an 04 Terminator rack in my car with (I think) 92 Taurus outer tie rods and the MM Hybrid steering shaft. They will be changed out with fox inner tie rods and MM bump steer kit once it all goes back together.

Did this to my 83...
The 5 lug hubs can be done at a later date if so desired..
My understanding is the 99-04 steering racks are a better rack...

All (V6, GT, Cobra, Mach) 94-04 inners and outers are metric.

Really good tech article on swapping to SN95 racks:

Subtle difference between the 94-98 and 99-04 racks but the difference between the 03-04 Cobras and the rest is very noticeable but they are unobtainium.

If you have a stock k-member the better spindles to get are the 94/95. You can run the 96+ but it is recommended to run a bump steer kit. If you have a tubular k-member consult with the manufacturer but most design to the 96+.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve already got 94 front spindles with dust shields and hubs. Around back I’ve got 04 cobra Gt caliper brackets with hardware and complete 2004 cobra hydroboost with hoses cooler and remote reservoir and I’m going to use Saginaw ps pump with wild horses bracket but that next winters project

Like stated, there are two ways to do this.

SN95 rack
Fox inners
Fox outers

Or

SN95 rack
Leave the SN inners
93 Taurus outers

Both need the hybrid steering shaft. 99-04 V8 rack is the one to source. 03/04 cobra would be preferred but hard to get.

Reactions: 3 users