sound system

LithiumX

Jun 27, 2006
i have a 2000 mustang...and i want to install a sound system in it... im going for alpine type R's for everything...im going to get 2 subs and 4 component speakers for the doors and back....my question is for if you guys can help me get the best setup for my car...
heres what i have/want
...i have a DUAL head unit (that i wont be changing)...it has 55x4 max and 17x4 rms..
i want to get two subs for my trunk...they will probably be 500 watt rms each (and like i said before they'll be alpine type R's)

what kind of amplifier setup will i need and what brand is good(mono, 4 channel...how many watts)....should i hook up the amp to the other 4 speakers or will they be fine ( i also dont want to have just bass....i want to hear the other frequency sounds) and how many watts should the other 4 speakers be.......should i aim the subs pointing to the front or the back....what sub enclosure do i need for best sound quality (ported, airtight, dimentions?)...should i get stiffening caps.......basically...what is the best setup for me.....thanks in advance....i know this is a lot....

• Sponsors (?)

LithiumX said:
i have a 2000 mustang...and i want to install a sound system in it... im going for alpine type R's for everything...im going to get 2 subs and 4 component speakers for the doors and back....my question is for if you guys can help me get the best setup for my car...
heres what i have/want
...i have a DUAL head unit (that i wont be changing)...it has 55x4 max and 17x4 rms..
i want to get two subs for my trunk...they will probably be 500 watt rms each (and like i said before they'll be alpine type R's)

what kind of amplifier setup will i need and what brand is good(mono, 4 channel...how many watts)....should i hook up the amp to the other 4 speakers or will they be fine ( i also dont want to have just bass....i want to hear the other frequency sounds) and how many watts should the other 4 speakers be.......should i aim the subs pointing to the front or the back....what sub enclosure do i need for best sound quality (ported, airtight, dimentions?)...should i get stiffening caps.......basically...what is the best setup for me.....thanks in advance....i know this is a lot....

Dual? Not Alpine? Wierd. Its just that when I sold my 96, I pulled out the alpine I had in there and put in a circuity city $49 Dual CD deck special before I sold it.

Look at some 5 channel amps, or a 4 channel for the speakers and then maybe two amps, one for each sub. Or a mono for the sub. I have a mono for one sub in the back of my 04.

Go for components in the front and possibly the rear.

Subs can point to your preference as bass is non-directional. Mine points to the rear.

Airtight is the best as ported requires more power. But ported sound nice, but a much heavier box.

Caps will depend on how many watts you are running, amps, etc.

Your setup is going to depend on your budget. Good Luck. Remember, you get what you pay for.

thanks for the reply but i need a little more info...i know some stuff but not everything....how would my setup be if i used 1 amp to power everything(i dont even know if i can do that)....do i need two amps, one for the subs and one for the other 4 speakers.......i saw on a website that if i want to only power two subs...i will only need one mono amp....but i thought mono was for only one speaker/sub...
if i were to get an amp, or amps, to power everything...what brands should i get that will give good sound quality...:shrug: i dont know what the best setup would be and i dont want to realize that i should have gotten two amps instead of one after i set it all up...or watever...
also...if i get 500 watt rms subs...how powerful should my other speakers be...

for the enclosure...what dimensions would be good for like....a 12 inch sub....and what do you mean by a much heavier box for the ported one.....which one gives off more bass...
and finally....if i get this setup....i dont want my car to rattle...what should i do to it to make it nice and musicy....ive heard of the dynamat stuff...but i dont know anything about it...i dont want to dynamat my whole car....can i just do the trunk....i dont know.....advice please

i sell car audio

ok so you want to keep your 17 watt rms deck? then you need to amp those alpine speakers. for the money i would look at the alpine type-s speakers. as for the component speakers good luck, they dont come in a 6x8 (5x7 are the same mounts) with a satalite components. but the speakers themselves have a silk tweeter on them if thats what you are talking about. as for the type r subs, great idea. i have own 3 pairs of them now. i had 4 type r 10s in my first car (realy f'ing loud) and now i have the 12s. you cant run a single mono amp to them because they are a dual voice coil speaker. and they can run at 2Ω on their own. get a dual ch amp that is capable of that Ω rating on each ch. i think alpine makes one that might work but very $$$. if you want to save some space just get one of the new apline type-x subs. with 1500 watts rms and 3000 max they beat up. back to the deck, i hope you have sub controles on it because if you dont your going to blow your ear drums out listening to it at full blast at all times. if you have any other questions just pm me.