Sourcing PS Rack and Pump

92LX5spd

15 Year Member
Feb 23, 2013
I'm looking for a stock replacement steering rack and pump for my '88 GT. I don't have a "trustworthy local rebuilder" nor access to any Foxes left in salvage yards. I just want a decent quality stock replacement rack and pump (whether they be remanufactured or new) that works as least as well as the OE one I've got now. Are there any places left that sell half-decent parts anymore? I haven't heard great things about Cardones and the dead feeling they have on center. NAPA? Advance Auto? Rock Auto? Are any preferred or do they all just peddle Cardone stuff? This is a daily driver I'm trying to keep somewhat reliably on the road. Thanks for any insight.

• Sponsors (?)

My local Advance only sells Cardones. Rock Auto has 3 brands that seem to get somewhat more favorable reviews around the interwebs, Edelmann, BBB and Lares.

On another note, I see PS pressure hoses broken up by AC and non-AC varieties. My car is AC but I have an Ford Racing AC delete kit to install as well, so which hose would work?

Don't know what brand I got but about ten years ago I went to Oreilleys an ordered a quick ratio rack, think it was a sport version, and a ps pump.
Daily driven and no issues.

Just for quick reference the fast ratio rack has 2.25 turns lock to lock. Sometimes you can see that listed in the parts description.

Reactions: 1 user
On another note, I see PS pressure hoses broken up by AC and non-AC varieties. My car is AC but I have an Ford Racing AC delete kit to install as well, so which hose would work?

The difference is the lenght of the hose. Non-A/C cars have the PS pump mounted up higher so they need a slightly longer hose. If oyu have the A/C delete, get a hose for a non-AC car.

I've got a Cardone 2003 Cobra rack in my car. No issues at all and it feels great. Sn95 rack is a notable upgrade, but the hybrid steering shaft is what makes that swap more expensive.