Spec Stage 2 and Peddle Pressure

Srpera

Jan 8, 2004
MA
I installed a SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit on my 00GT. The pedal pressure is a lot more than stock (not user friendly in traffic at all). How is your SPEC Stage 2 pedal pressure? I tried my friends SPEC Stage 3+ clutch in his 03 Cobra and it felt very easy to push (just like stock). When I changed my clutch, I also installed a Steeda firewall adjuster and quadrant.

I spent an hour on the phone with SPEC and they say the pedal pressure should not be so tough. They tell me something else must be making the clutch pedal pressure tough. They told me the 11" clutch has less pedal pressure than the 10.5" They use the same pressure plate on the Stage 1 as the Stage 2 for 10.5" clutch kits. They want me to send it in and check it out, hmm. Not looking forward to that install/uninstall again.

Tell me about your SPEC clutches...

• Sponsors (?)

I know my spec stg 3 was VERY stiff...but now I think im getting used to it LOL.

I mean if you just go press it it doesnt feel bad, but if your not used to it....within a few seconds your feet will litterly start hurting lol.

Sorry I cant speak for the spec stg 2 :(

But I believe DerekstangGT has the stg 2....may want to give him a PM.

I'm thinking the new quadrant has a larger diameter than the stock quadrant. I went with the Fiore just for that reason.

maybe

if the quadrant was red instead of the normal blue or silver you installed the "quick release" one. normally not much of a difference but maybe with the combination of the spec 2 you noticed

or you installed or adjusted something wrong which would cause a stiff PEDAL

Spec stage 2 clutches are a pile of S**T. I just replaced mine after only being in the car for 12,000 miles and I had to constantly adjust it because it burnt up so fast. The clutch disc was down to the rivots. Amazing how I got 100,003 miles on the stock clutch.

My brother owns a shop and the last 5 Spec stage 2's he put in they all went bad and one of them only lasted 2 weeks. Complete anihilation of the clutch disc. Now before you go and start saying they were installed wrong you are talking about someone who has installed thousands of clutches and has more automotive experience than 95 % of us on here so the installs were done correctly. He is a very reputable mechanic that works on a lot of the stangnet members cars from the Northwest. Spec has some issues and they don't even have the balls to admit that there is something wrong.

I too installed firewall adjuster and double hook quadrant at the same time as the Spec install. I now have a KIng Cobra clutch with Fidanza aluminum flywheel with the same firewall adjuster and quadrant and 5000 miles and not one adjust to the clutch for a high pedal so I am strongly ruling out the FWA and quadrant.

Your stiff clutch pedal is being caused by faulty Spec parts. I speak from this just happening to me. Next thing that will happen is that your pedal will slowly start to get higher and higher before the clutch engages and when you adjust it the adjust will only last for about 2 weeks or less and it will be all the way at the top again. If this doesn't happen to you and you can find actual fault with the mechanic who installed it or other parts you installed I will eat crow but I am very confident in telling you this.

maybe

if the quadrant was red instead of the normal blue or silver you installed the "quick release" one. normally not much of a difference but maybe with the combination of the spec 2 you noticed

or you installed or adjusted something wrong which would cause a stiff PEDAL

Thanks for the catch "PEDAL" doh! I installed the silver Steeda quadrant and used the notch closest to the firewall.

Spec stage 2 clutches are a pile of S**T. I just replaced mine after only being in the car for 12,000 miles and I had to constantly adjust it because it burnt up so fast. The clutch disc was down to the rivots. Amazing how I got 100,003 miles on the stock clutch.

My brother owns a shop and the last 5 Spec stage 2's he put in they all went bad and one of them only lasted 2 weeks. Complete anihilation of the clutch disc. Now before you go and start saying they were installed wrong you are talking about someone who has installed thousands of clutches and has more automotive experience than 95 % of us on here so the installs were done correctly. He is a very reputable mechanic that works on a lot of the stangnet members cars from the Northwest. Spec has some issues and they don't even have the balls to admit that there is something wrong.

I too installed firewall adjuster and double hook quadrant at the same time as the Spec install. I now have a KIng Cobra clutch with Fidanza aluminum flywheel with the same firewall adjuster and quadrant and 5000 miles and not one adjust to the clutch for a high pedal so I am strongly ruling out the FWA and quadrant.

Your stiff clutch pedal is being caused by faulty Spec parts. I speak from this just happening to me. Next thing that will happen is that your pedal will slowly start to get higher and higher before the clutch engages and when you adjust it the adjust will only last for about 2 weeks or less and it will be all the way at the top again. If this doesn't happen to you and you can find actual fault with the mechanic who installed it or other parts you installed I will eat crow but I am very confident in telling you this.

I do notice that the PEDAL is getting higher already. The stage 2 clutch disc is very thin compared to a friends stage 3+.

I have the steeda clutck kit with my stage 2 and i have also noticed that my clutch keeps engaging farther and farther out. when i first put the stage 2 in it felt a lot heavier than my king cobra then i got used to it. but then after the break in period and a 600 mile road trip the clutch got to where i had to almost stand on it to shift.

sometimes mine is kinda stock feeling and sometimes it will adjust itself all the way out and be extremely heavy. i guess thats what you get when you try and save money by buying a spec.

Not tryin to jack this thread but does anybody elses stage 2 not fit completely to the flywheel. I have a fidanza aluminum one and i was told that there was a gap a little bit smaller than a peice of paper between the flywheel and the pp? its causing my car to shake horribly.:notnice:

I have the steeda clutck kit with my stage 2 and i have also noticed that my clutch keeps engaging farther and farther out. when i first put the stage 2 in it felt a lot heavier than my king cobra then i got used to it. but then after the break in period and a 600 mile road trip the clutch got to where i had to almost stand on it to shift.

sometimes mine is kinda stock feeling and sometimes it will adjust itself all the way out and be extremely heavy. i guess thats what you get when you try and save money by buying a spec.

Not tryin to jack this thread but does anybody elses stage 2 not fit completely to the flywheel. I have a fidanza aluminum one and i was told that there was a gap a little bit smaller than a peice of paper between the flywheel and the pp? its causing my car to shake horribly.:notnice:

That definately sounds like an install issue. Fizanda, Spec and stock flywheels are using the same geometry. Keep your flywheel (if it is not damaged) and install another clutch kit (pressure plate/clutch disc/ throwout bearing). Make sure it gets adjusted correctly using a firewall adjuster and quadrant.

That definately sounds like an install issue. Fizanda, Spec and stock flywheels are using the same geometry. Keep your flywheel (if it is not damaged) and install another clutch kit (pressure plate/clutch disc/ throwout bearing). Make sure it gets adjusted correctly using a firewall adjuster and quadrant.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the install issue these are some of the same symptoms that the other now 7 people have had with the Spec 2. Some one else is posting a thread about this same problem.

Go back to the King Cobra you can't beat the bang for the buck. I beat the crap out of mine at the track and have yet to have any problems with it.

Go back to the King Cobra you can't beat the bang for the buck. I beat the crap out of mine at the track and have yet to have any problems with it.

I agree. Can't beat the bang for the buck. I think a firewall adjuster and quadrant are needed. You cannot depend on the stock plastic self-adjuster. Put the car on a lift and check for throwout bearing clearance and adjust using the firewall adjuster. I am going to have mine readjusted just to see how far it has moved since install.

SPEC SUCKS!!!!!!!!! i just paid 220 for mine and the pedal is already to the top its hard to drive out of first gear sometimes the pedal is that far to the top.. im going to get it adjusted soon and if that does not fix the problem im calling spec!! this is b/s to pay this much for a clutch and then have to pay 350 for the install and it acts up at 1000 miles this really pisses me off.. btw mine is a stage one.. i didnt drive the car hard for 400miles after that i jumped on it a few times the more i get on it the more the pedal comes up!

SPEC SUCKS!!!!!!!!! i just paid 220 for mine and the pedal is already to the top its hard to drive out of first gear sometimes the pedal is that far to the top.. im going to get it adjusted soon and if that does not fix the problem im calling spec!! this is b/s to pay this much for a clutch and then have to pay 350 for the install and it acts up at 1000 miles this really pisses me off.. btw mine is a stage one.. i didnt drive the car hard for 400miles after that i jumped on it a few times the more i get on it the more the pedal comes up!

I don't think the stock quadrant self-adjuster works well with aftermarket clutches (or even with stock clutch). You need a quadrant and firewall adjuster, and reuse the stock cable. The quadrant eliminates the self-adjusting one and makes the clutch more consistent. The firewall adjuster is important to get the correct throwout bearing spacing. If the bearing isn't spaced right, the clutch can wear down fast and get hard or not fully disengage. You want just a little bit of wiggle room for the throwout bearing when the clutch is engaged.

^ Your clutch chatters? My spec stg 3 doesnt chatter anymore...well if you ride it a bit it will slightly chatter, but when I drive its a super rare thing. I even have a aluminum flywheel....which is supposed to make chattering alot worse. Hmm :shrug:

It took a few thousand miles for mine to FULLY break in it seemed...if your clutches are pretty new, it may chatter and act funny. Just give it some time.

^ Your clutch chatters? My spec stg 3 doesnt chatter anymore...well if you ride it a bit it will slightly chatter, but when I drive its a super rare thing. I even have a aluminum flywheel....which is supposed to make chattering alot worse. Hmm :shrug:

It took a few thousand miles for mine to FULLY break in it seemed...if your clutches are pretty new, it may chatter and act funny. Just give it some time.

This is true. My hubby's car and mine did the same thing. His drives alot better than mine did (both had the stage 2). When I did the long block I needed a clutch rated for more torque, so I ditched the spec and went with ACT.. It is awesome, but $80.00 more expensive. Well WORTH it in my opinion! Shifts smooth, no chatter, and no pedal movement. It also will hold Killah power!:nice:

Freshly dyno tuned by brenspeed, 576 HP 499TQ
Forged 2000 GT bored and stroked, ported heads, BA2400 mass air meter, 70 MM throttle body, 03 cobra tank and pumps, Kenne Bell boost-a-pump, Paxton Novi 2000 with intercooler, 60#inj, 373 gears, PA Racing tubular K member, Aluminum drive shaft with safety loop, C&L upper intake plenum, Autometer boost and fuel gauges, SCT Tune

I need me a forged bottom end...

I'm bitter with SPEC. They screwed me out of 240 dollars in cash plus money on misc parts because of the misshap I had with thier parts. The clutch disc they sent me had burred splines and would not slide onto the input shaft of the trans which caused a lot of problems for me that I don't want to get into (school of hard knocks.. and I knew better as it was...). I bought SPEC because at the time everyone was saying how great their stuff is. I wish I had just bought a King Cobra clutch and been done with it. The more time that goes by, the more complaints I hear about SPEC... live and learn.