Spring isolators...to use or not to use? Pros? Cons?

5.0_GT_kid

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Largo, Florida
(Disclaimer: I ran a search but came up basically empty handed and didn't feel like digging through the thousands of spring threads for bits and pieces of info)

I'm starting to get back into modding the Mustang, and one of the first things I want to do is lower it with either some H&R SuperSports or Steeda Sport Springs, but I'm a little confused about whether the spring isolators are needed and what the pros and cons are of using them or not using them.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

no they aren't needed. it will lower the car slightly more but it will also give you more noise and vibrations. I've heard of some people wrapping them in electrical tape instead of the isolators to help keep that down. If i was to ever change my setup, that's probably what i would try.

It's kind of weird. Back when lowering springs first became widely available for fox chassis Mustangs, all of the major aftermarket spring manufacturers recommended removing the isolators. Now they say it is at the option of the installer. I've changed springs in a Mustang a bizzalion times, and sometimes the owner of the car wanted them in, sometimes they wanted them out. The only difference I can tell is the ride height. It doesn't seem to have any more noise or vibration without them in there. It's also easier to install them without the isolators, depending on the spring of course. It's really up to you, and how low you want the car. I would say it makes between 1/4" and a 1/2" difference in ride height.

On a side note, since it came up. It's a really bad idea to chop a coil off the stock springs. Those are progressive rate springs, and the car will ride like crap, and not handle worth a damn.

Kurt

No idea who he is. But people set cars up differently for different things. If you want the car to corner hard and perform like a raped ape, not a bad idea. But I know several people who tried this, and the results were gastly.

Kurt

It will lower the car, but the ride is going to be atrocious.

Kurt

its already getting front 12-170 coil over springs and strange shcoks/struts (10 ways). it has a more of a drag suspension then a street comfort riding suspension. Cutting 1 spring wont make huge difference anyway from what dave said.

No idea who he is. But people set cars up differently for different things. If you want the car to corner hard and perform like a raped ape, not a bad idea. But I know several people who tried this, and the results were gastly.

Kurt

Owner of Team Z motorsports, one of the most knowledgeable people out there as far as drag racing and suspension.

I second rev head,

Before mustangs, i was into f-body gm's (camaro's/firebirds/transam's), and those cars don't even come with front iso's, and always threw away the rear ones. If you really feel like you need something in there besides electrical tape, you could try greasing up the spring, and sliding some heater hose onto the coil at the pig tails, but ive got eibach pro's in my 94, and toss'd the iso's in the front and couldn't be happier. NO noise, and gave it some stance. As a matter of fact, im going to chuck the rear's soon too.

Aaron

sorry to resurrect. But I was thinking of trying to drop the front of mine another 1/2 inch or 1 inch and may rip the iso's out the front. Just wanted to add that I work for chrysler and almost all our cars dont use spring isolaters and they ride just fine.

Take em all out, you don't need it and it's not that noticeable!

Your exhaust will cover the noise and plus those rubber things are useless in absorbing any shocks, i was once before sucked in to buying a set and i quickly returned it, lol

Ok well I removed the front lower isolaters, took about 15min each side. Got a noticeable drop from it, maybe 1/2in. Looks much better and may remove uppers tomorrow. But noticed ABSOLUTELY NO difference in NVH. I also coated the lower control arm spring seat with anti-seaze JIC but its good right now. Finally level so will probably be able to get the stance I want when uppers are removed. (JIC anyones wondering I have Eibach sportlines)