SROD Bellhousing Score

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
Claremore, OK
You have to love small town Oklahoma salvage yards. Got it for $75 with the dust cover and clutch fork. Will not be using the clutch fork, pivot ball, or dust cover as this will be used on a Tremec TKX later down the road. Little oven cleaner and a good power washing will have the two layers of blue paint, engine oil, and clutch dust off of it and looking like new. The TKX is way down the road but starting to gather the "cheap" parts now.

4D7EEBA5-6650-40D6-A332-450208185EE1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

What t56 do these bolt too? Though only the tko 500/600, 3550 and tkx shared that bolt pattern, spacing and counter bore? And damn I remember when I bought one new from downs ford for $100 extra with my first 3550 for $1100 in the late 90's.

Fixed my mistake, meant TKX. Been working on T-55 on another car the last couple of days and got dyslexic. Have a McLeod bell and dual disc clutch for it to mate up to the stroked 351.

And holy crap you are not joking about these prices. My TKO was cheap in comparison.

I was about to say I need to find some of those t56's lol

I got a spare tko 600 for $400 a couple years ago thought I hit the lottery, dude gave me a a basic t5 bell with it that he thought fit.. didn't care since I had a few McLeod and aluminum bell housings for it all ready and was easy to sell off.. Thank god some ppl who part them out don't really know what there doing or ain't part of the Facebook flipper groups trying to get retail on well used parts.

The mod motors bells are crazy now even the aluminum ones, one thing I still need to find for a coyote swap because I know ill kill a 3650 in no time and I all ways have a old Tremec or 2 laying around, been holding off picking up a tkx until I see a few ppl realy abuse them, owned way to many older tremecs to buy there advertising lol..

a 26 spline disc isn't too bad. I twisted 2 10 spline inputs pretty badly on my old 3550 before I swapped it and it wasn't even that fast. Just a ton of 1.4x 60fts took there toll on it, the out put and axles suffered the same abuse and got replaced over the years for the same reasons. Unfortunately that car was heavy for a fox body coupe.

I hear you and that’s most likely what I will end up doing even though I am not worried about 60 footing in this car. It’s 95% street and an occasionally track day at the local road race coarse. I’m right at 460 fwhp and about to bump it to 500ish with a TMoss port job on the upper and lower. The T5 is going to give it up at some point so I’m hoping to get the swap done before then.

Questions for you knowledgable bellhousing swap people, is this the same as a T5 bell, as it seems?

And is an old Ford toploader bell different from a T5 bell? Back in 19, when I went to get my engine dynoed, the shop did not have a Ford bellhousing. I ran down to Summit and bought a new ford T5 bell for a 5.0 Mustang. Turned out to have a larger index hole for the trans than an old Ford type, and the shop did not have a dyno adapter for it.

Had to wait until he found an older bell to run my engine.

No sir. The TKO/TKX share the transmission bolt pattern to the bell housing but as you pointed out the hole in the center is different. The T5 has a different bolt pattern than the TKO/TKX.