Starting Problem

Roledan

Feb 24, 2016
Hello,
I have a 1965 convertible that won't start. The starter is brand new, and so is the battery. It has been checked and is putting out plenty of cold cranking amps. The relay is also new. All connections have been tightened and cleaned. When I turn the key all I get is clicking from the relay. Does anyone have any ideas what may still cause this? Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your starter solenoid is the only thing left to replace. Try switching the 2 small wires around, you may have the switched on onto the wrong solenoid terminal. Check which wire has voltage when the keys in the start postion

shem

I'm also having start issue. I use a battery tender (since I don't drive it often). On the first start after disconnecting the tender, it cranks and turns over instantly. On subsequent starts, it cranks, but either takes a while to actually turn over or I have to tap on the accelerator a little. The battery is brand new.

Any ideas?

That's the bad thing about loose ground wires they can be intermittent. I would just check everything ground. But I would guess it's your starter. Is it cracking over just not stating right away? If so that's normal. There old cars and when there cold it takes a few cranks. I know my 66 When its cold cranks over about 4 times before it starts.

That's the bad thing about loose ground wires they can be intermittent. I would just check everything ground. But I would guess it's your starter. Is it cracking over just not stating right away? If so that's normal. There old cars and when there cold it takes a few cranks. I know my 66 When its cold cranks over about 4 times before it starts.
Yeah, kind of. It also does it when it warm. And the engine is a crate motor (2010) with EFI, fairly new starter, plugs, and cables.