Stuborn '98 Antenna

BobAruba

Aug 12, 2006
As silly as this sounds... does anyone have a clue as to how to tighten uo the stock antenna base on a '98 GT Coupe? I can just about get my hand inside that part of the fender when the door is open... to barely touch the antenna base. But how do you tighten or remove it? Anyone with the patience to explain... much thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have no idea ... never really thought about it. You can't get to it by opening the door all the way or maybe removing the plastic piece where your vents are? :shrug:

I have a cheap Chiltons book and to uninstall it says to remove the right-hand cowl side trim panel. Remove the antenna cable clips holding the antenna cable to the heater assembly, and disconnect the two antenna cable halves near the heater assembly. Remove antenna cap and antenna base retaining screws, then pull cable through the holes in the door hinge pillar and fender. Remove the antenna base and 2 cable halves.

:shrug: View attachment 46182

View attachment 46183

Hope that helps you more than it does me:owned:

A bit overcomplicated i say. If you just want to tighten it up just pop of the cover off the base of the antenna. There's 2-3 screws that hold everthing in place(as seen above in the first pic).

When i replaced my antenna i don't recall needing to get all squirrelly, i think it just came off from the top of the fender. My antenna snapped and had to replace the base.

d98gt this Monday I’m shooting over to AutoZone to pick up a Chilton’s… I should have done that earlier. Thanks for the blow up diagram shot of the base it gave me confidence to tear into that baby.

mijo_latino thanks for the brief synopsis… your directions were a big help because I was able to access and tighten up the base exactly as you said. Now I’m going to clip that baby down to 15-16 inches… for a more discreet look.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and responses.