Paint and Body Stuck bolt hidden

FoxyNate

Apr 16, 2021
Seattle
Hi all,
I’ve seen a lot of threads (ha!) about but none this specific

the driver side gas tank strap bolt seems to be rusted on the other side of the threads. The rust is on the bolt itself not in the threads so getting it out is a tedious process of tapping in the wrench with the hammer as rust cascades off the bolt.
No room for breaker bar. Have been soaking with PB oil twice a day for a week. Took wire brush to anything I can get to. It’s coming out but at this rate it’ll take me two weeks of tapping 20min a day. Any ideas?
Passenger side is also tedious but easier as I have better access to it

• Sponsors (?)

83262671-50-E0-46-FF-9-C91-846530890-EC5.jpg

They are J nuts.
Buy news bolts and J nuts from Lmr and just do whatever it takes to get the originals out.
If I remember correctly when I broke mine, they are not available on short notice from any old store.

Turn the bolt one way (loosening) till it tightens up then turn the other way (tightening) at least one turn or till it stops, apply pb blaster or similar product and keep going back and forth and applying blaster often.

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember correctly when I broke mine, they are not available on short notice from any old store.
If you are replacing the J-nut and bolt at same time, just get both in whatever size is close, heck a fender bolt and nut may work (I don't recall the size). I have an auto parts store locally that has 5 or 6 sizes in stock in their bolts and clips bins.

If you are replacing the J-nut and bolt at same time, just get both in whatever size is close, heck a fender bolt and nut may work (I don't recall the size). I have an auto parts store locally that has 5 or 6 sizes in stock in their bolts and clips bins.
I don't know what size they are offhand, but they are pretty big and strong.
Most likely because you have to draw them in with an impact because of how tight the gas tank fits.
They aren't even close to the size of a fender bolt, i probably wouldn't try that.
I tried a couple local stores and nothing they had was anywhere close in size.

The stock bolts are M10 x 1.5 x 35mm long.

I picked up some 70mm bolts at Home Depot, but one side has the floor pan close behind it so you can’t draw it up all the way. You can use the 70mm to draw it up, tighten one side, and then use the 35mm to hold it.

no source on the J nuts however other than trying some Home Depot or mcmaster carr hardware.

If you want studs, the below exhaust stud kit works and is what LmR sells for the straps