T5 shot too now, what tranny is cheap and strong?

• Sponsors (?)

tranny 101 :nice:

I would like to do the rebuild with the G-Force parts. Its a daily drive, maybe a little street fun :D will never see the track. My question is about the ratios. What will the 2.95 & .59 OD( or the.73OD) or whatever gear do for me as far as speed with the stock 3.08 gears? Is it better than stock ratios and why? I was going to go with 3.55 rear end gears originally. When I do this swap would 3.73 be a better gear? If so why? I will be building a new engine in the near future 331 or 351 stroker NA. I want 3-4 hundred HP so thats why I need the rebuild.

GTJake said:
Bob Cosby runs the G-Force in his car.

Jake
Sorry, that is incorrect. I run a modified T5Z - but nothing like a G-Force unit. The main mods are the syncro's and 5th gear.

The 2nd and 4th gear syncros have every other tooth cut off. 3rd gear has all of them. The idea is to improve high rpm powershifting. 2nd and 4th shift completely normal on the street. 3rd has to be engaged slowly, or just skipped (easy for me to do).

5th gear is a custom .59 ratio that, along with my 26.7" street tires, allows me to turn ~2400 rpm @ 70 mph.

eddienyr....everybody I have talked to that has the helical-cut version of the G-Force says it makes quite a bit of noise on the street in 1st through 4th gear. That may or may not be an issue for you - don't know. It is quite strong. Anything can break, but I suspect that T5 will last significantly longer than "regular" versions. I might eventually go that route - just don't know if I want to put up with the noise.

Absolutely, positively go to at least 3.73 gears. The .59 5th gear will keep your highway rpm down to a very reasonable number.

Good luck.

I read this whole post and no one asked if you had checked your lube level in the trans - it will run noisy if your low on lube. Check it if you haven't. Stock T5s have held up to some pretty high power levels and track duty, a LOT of it has to do with how good you are at shifting.

Thanks for the tip on the synchros Bob, is that a track only car - in other words would you recommend that synchro mod for the street?

No, this is my daily driver. The only mod that anybody would notice on the street is 3rd gear. You could easily do the same with 3rd that was done with 2nd and 4th....ie...every other syncro vice all. Doing that, you wouldn't notice at all on the street. I had them all removed to make it that much easier to powershift into 3rd at high rpm.

It should be noted that my idea of high rpm is 7000+ - not something you'll normally see with a 5.0. :)