Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

Bought a balancer puller online from Advanced, all about the 20% coupons.
It says it's in stock so I drive over to pick it up. Lady pulls up my order and walks off in the back looking for a "13 piece harmonic balancer" while repeating the words over and over. I'm not sure what that is but I know she's not going to find it.
Another guy quickly walks up to rudely inform me they don't have those in stock and I'll have to order it. I still don't know what it is they're looking for. So i finally get to explain that it's a tool and I'm informed that "it's a rental" and they run off to the back again to dig through the rental tools.
Frustrated, I went and grabbed it off the shelf and brought it to the counter. when they finally came back, they acted like they knew all along what I was after.

My head hurts.
The 13 piece Harmonic Balancer does exist! It's in the section next to......
plxgtuo-55bf1ec108cf9.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

The US steel industry has slowed severely and subsequently so has my project.

IMG_4894.JPG

I painted the stock timing cover, reinstalled the balancer and it's finally ready to be set in the car "for good". I'll have to pull the pan and put a drain fitting in but I can procrastinate that a while.

If I can ever get around to putting the rear end together I'll be able to put the wheels back on it and move it out of the way.

Will regroup in the spring. Hopefully there will be some fire sales this winter and I can score some good deals. I'll say it again, if anyone tells you they built a cheap swapped fox, they built a piece of :poo:. This stuffs expensive!

Reactions: 4 users
IMG_4919.JPG

Put the motor in the car. Put the rear end back together and got the wheels back on it. All so it would be easier to move it to the far corner of the garage.
At least it looks cool :shrug:

Reactions: 4 users
So a buddy of mine has a blazer with a build very very similar to what I'm doing. In fact, it's partly the inspiration behind the combo. It's an L33 with twin s366s, th400. Went 8.53 in a 3600lb blazer. Bad as can be.
Made 1159 today on the dyno. Legit a tock bottom end. China studs, LS9 gaskets, slightly smaller camshaft etc.

Unfortunately after the dyno he took a guy out for a joy ride and now you can see the rods through the side of the block lol.

I'm inspired and bummed all at the same time

Reactions: 1 users
Update!

As some of you who have come to know me might have guessed, I can no longer "hold my horses" and wait on this turbo kit to materialize.

Basically at this point all the information I've been given since July has amounted to "should be done soon".

So I've ordered the stuff to make my own hotside. I also placed an order for turbos today. Coldside stuff will have to wait until I've got a transmission and whatnot in the car.
Saving some money would have been nice but this way I'll be able to control the layout and move forward with this build.

Reactions: 5 users
Update!

As some of you who have come to know me might have guessed, I can no longer "hold my horses" and wait on this turbo kit to materialize.

Basically at this point all the information I've been given since July has amounted to "should be done soon".

So I've ordered the stuff to make my own hotside. I also placed an order for turbos today. Coldside stuff will have to wait until I've got a transmission and whatnot in the car.
Saving some money would have been nice but this way I'll be able to control the layout and move forward with this build.

When all your new piping and turbos show up-you will get the call to pick up your custom kit :D
lol

When all your new piping and turbos show up-you will get the call to pick up your custom kit :D
lol
I don't mean to bash them. They're nice guys with a nice product. But when I email you 4 times in 5 months and you can't produce a picture or any information, but still expect me to get you pre-sale sign ups.... it's a waste of my time. I can't wait 3 more months and THEN start working on my presale quota or I'll be sitting on the sidelines for another year.

It's a nice fallback plan if what I build is complete crap though lol

Reactions: 2 users
I don't mean to bash them. They're nice guys with a nice product. But when I email you 4 times in 5 months and you can't produce a picture or any information, but still expect me to get you pre-sale sign ups.... it's a waste of my time. I can't wait 3 more months and THEN start working on my presale quota or I'll be sitting on the sidelines for another year.

I understand man, and I don't blame you-on the plus side,if they come through with the kit in a month or so. You can always put them on your truck lol

Well,......now that you mentioned it. Didn't I read that all you have is a flux core mig? Didn't I read that your welding skills weren't where you wanted them to be?

Whachu gonna do about that Willis?

Well,......now that you mentioned it. Didn't I read that all you have is a flux core mig? Didn't I read that your welding skills weren't where you wanted them to be?

Whachu gonna do about that Willis?
I tend to exaggerate a bit for effect. I'm not a fantastic welder by any stretch but I'm capable enough. I only have a flux core welder in my garage but I've got access to mig, TIG, and stick welders at work to handle the downpipes as well as a buddy with a 110v small Miller I can use for aluminum at home. Or more likely just convince him to do it by threat of telling everyone he did the welding regardless of his involvement.

The hotside only requires downpipes and the coldside will be really really simple.

At least in my head. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
I've got a set of up and forward headers coming that I'm going to try. They've got 3" vband flanges. So I've got someone sending me a couple 90* t4 elbows with vband flanges. Having him go ahead and weld wastegate flanges on as well. I'm thinking I'll have to cut the collectors down some on the headers but should otherwise make the hotside really easy.

Picture for reference.
IMG_5020.JPG

Ignore the billet 76s which are not remotely in my budget. I ordered a couple poor man cast 66s.

Tube front end.jpg

There's a dude in TX making these nice tube front ends now....

Attachments

• 75D83E20-6E6E-4228-8076-41201D1F0DCF_zps8moofedo.jpg
    75D83E20-6E6E-4228-8076-41201D1F0DCF_zps8moofedo.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 75D83E20-6E6E-4228-8076-41201D1F0DCF_zps8moofedo.jpg
    75D83E20-6E6E-4228-8076-41201D1F0DCF_zps8moofedo.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 350
Rock solid Motorsports makes a really nice kit as well. I won't need the tube front end for what I'm building, though it would be nice. If I didn't have a clean smoothed bay I would absolutely be doing it, but at least as of now, I can't bring myself to cut it up.

I hate that they cut off the frame rails too, that was a mistake I made on my last car.

Got the lines ran for the catch can setup tonight. Going to fab up a little mounting bracket to secure the can better but I'm happy with it. Anything I can keep out of the engine bay is a plus
IMG_5066.JPG
IMG_5060.JPG