Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

More bad news.

Whoever the dipstick was that assembled my engine forgot to install the oil pump driveshaft. Can't find competent engine builders anymore. :confused: It was wrongly assumed that it could be dropped in from the top.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

:puke:
More bad news.

Whoever the dipstick was that assembled my engine forgot to install the oil pump driveshaft. Can't find competent engine builders anymore. :confused: It was wrongly assumed that it could be dropped in from the top.
Funny you should mention that. I wanted to prime my engine and got all set up with a drill and attachments, that's when I noticed I hadn't either:doh:.

At least mine is still on a stand, flips over easier that way.

Reactions: 2 users
More bad news.

hope you caught that before trying to fire the engine....

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know what you guys are worrying about, ..for the first 20 years I messed with a Windsor I dropped the drive shaft into the pump from the distributor hole.

Makes for a real adventure when the distributor drags the thing out the next time you have to pull it,..and it falls back into the engine,....the wrong way.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know what you guys are worrying about, ..for the first 20 years I messed with a Windsor I dropped the drive shaft into the pump from the distributor hole.

Makes for a real adventure when the distributor drags the thing out the next time you have to pull it,..and it falls back into the engine,....the wrong way.

Lol. That discussion has happened behind the scenes..

Reactions: 1 users
I'm about to hit the 'buy' button on the shopping cart that's been full for a month on Summit's site. I got paid for the MS build, but wife is still gonna give me grief, methinks.

If you don't hear from me for a while, look for a shallow grave behind my garage. It won't be deep as she's not much on manual labor. :D

Just a reminder that if that happens, you still win. :D

Didn't Model T's have distributors?:scratch:

Sometimes, you shock me Mike. Actually, the Model T used a system that more closely matches the one you're talking about going to. Don't you still have one of these labeled in a box somewhere?

DaAlmightyWiki said:
In the Model T, four trembler coils were used, one for each cylinder. This was a precursor of the modern use of individual plug-top coils, where each cylinder has its own coil, thus avoiding the need for a HT distributor. They were packaged together in a single wooden box, potted with pitch for reliability and waterproofing.

Reactions: 4 users

Sometimes, you shock me Mike. Actually, the Model T used a system that more closely matches the one you're talking about going to. Don't you still have one of these labeled in a box somewhere?
That's right noobz, you jack that Mike up!:fuss:

Lol. That discussion has happened behind the scenes..
Been there done that . A week later after I changed the pump and replaced the drive shaft ....

aec75173aaf78f5e4d5de28c8d29e007.jpg

ffd0b4f621033bddc88ede6482219fe3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Yeah,...you're not supposed to start the engine after you drop the drive shaft into the wrong place.
Welllllll . What happened was I realized what had happened way to late . Got the rod into place put the dist in and it was off . Off enough where just rotating it wouldn't have worked . So I pulled it up ever so gently to re clock it . Put it back into place and fired the car up . Heard the rockers get noisy and shut it down . Pulled the dist and the rod as you can tell was gone . Never again . This was also a used engine I had bought which wS another mistake . All in the fun of learning .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Last edited:
Welllllll . What happened was I realized what had happened . Got the rod into place put the dist in and it was off . Off enough where just rotating it wouldn't have worked . So I pulled it up ever so gently to re clock it . Put it back into place and fired the car up . Heard the rockers get noisy and shut it down . Pulled the dist and the rod as you can tell was gone . Never again . This was also a used engine I had bought which wS another mistake . All in the fun of learning .

I don't get it, where did the rod go? The rod broke?

I don't get it, where did the rod go? The rod broke?
When I re picked the dist up after fishing it back in the first time - the rod fell down back into the pan and I didn't know . So when I started it I quickly realized it had no oil pressure . Shut it down and that was the after math .

What? you're saying that the Model T had EDIS? If that's what your inferring...Two things:

I'm not even sure how you could say "closely matches",....if that's the case. Did Henry have some sort of black ops chip builders from Google's great grandfather working in some back room in 1918?

And I'm not talking about "going to",...I'm there. I've always been there.

I am a "Genius" after all.

Embrace the technology, Use the technology,...Be the technology.

Electronic Distributorless Ignition System.

Reactions: 1 users

Now,...I'll agree with you on that one.......kind of.

It's more like a flyin magnet system than it is an EDIS.

But you're right,....It's closer to mine than it is a distributor.