Thinking of selling

I think we all feel that pain now and then. Where you are just wondering why you own it.

If you are going to sell it, goto the junkyard, get a complete engine from a mustang, detail it up, drop it in, and sell your car.

If i remember correctly (and i very well may NOT), you took your a/c out right? If that's the situation, i'd do the works to make the a/c work perfect with no overheating, and see if that makes you feel a bit better.

I know when i used to worry about using my a/c in the hot summer heat, that used to depress me.

You'll still have your hopped up engine if you decide you made a bad decision, or if you want to make some more money parting it out on ebay.

• Sponsors (?)

Mike,
I have been feeling the exact same way lately. funny, we really havent talked in 3 weeks or so, but are feeling the same way... maybe we do have that "special bond" that you keep trying to convince me of. ;)

anyway, if you do sell, it, you will get 6500-8k for it... $9gs to the right buyer. The idea of a nwer cobra sounds very tempting. adding some gears, exhaust and 8psi of boost and you will eat up your/our cars.
If i was to sell, it would be so that i could put down the money on a very nice explorer or expedition, but you could get yourself a new car.

BUT
, lets be honest mike, how long can you have a nice "crusing" car for? you ever lose once, your not only gonna regret selling your car, but your gonna wish your newer car had more HP.

Let me share with your a quik story about why i want to keep my car vs. selling it.
sunday i took the GT to Kmart to get some odd stuff. i got out of the car and an older gentleman (50ish) came up to me and said that he really like the way my car sounded and looked. He told me that he was glad to see a nice street car like it was "back in my day" he said.
by no means is my car the nicest on the board, or even this thread, but DAMN, that made me feel fantastic!

HOtrain: the price is right for the right person.

Yep, I see you losing to an LS1 or LS2 camaro, and then thinking, "that wouldn't happen if I had a blower... I know these DOHC engines love boost. I'll just get a good deal on one and then that'll be it...nothing else." Then you're off and running again :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with that... And frankly, I don't blame you for selling those TFS heads. If you had AFRs, you'd be much happier with the car!

Chris

PS... Oh, and I wouldn't blame you one bit for the supercharger on a DOHC thing, either. As long as I could get a ride some time.

hey man I dont know you or anything but heres a story of my good buddy. He sells a modded 02 trans am ws6, decides he wants a 5 speed mustang to cruise in. Buys a '04 brand new and say all I am going to do to this car is catback exhaust and a shifter, thats it! That didnt last long few months later he does intake, then the rear, then some drag radials, the comes a built rear. And the latest a vortec sq trim. Maybe you have some willpwer but him like me and most everyone else on this site, we love to make our cars faster. Who wants a stock mustang anyways.

Grn92LX said:
Nothing is set in stone. I dunno WTF I want to do.

As far as being reliable, I would say my car now will be just as reliable as a newer car if not more reliable.

Matt, I wouldn't say can't handle it lol. Woop de doo it can go low 11's if it hooked. Its just a matter of wanting something newer and more normal. Like I said, I don't need a lot of power.

If I got a 4v 98 cobra I would only do typical stuff to it. 4.30/4.56 gears, exhaust ect. I've learned a lot over the years and one of them is these cars can be money pits :D

Any car can be a money pit! If you have a place to keep it,Take it off the road & Park it for 5 years. Buy something newer and have fun. Buy a beater econo box and drive that daily for the mileage reasons. I drive a P.T. Cruiser for my daily beat ride. It is not my first choice but it gets me around. I leave my 336 powered 85 G.T. Registered year round. It stays in the garage. When I want to drive it I open up the door and take off. Sometimes I don't drive it for weeks, and other times I drive it quite a bit. I can never sell it because it is like a part of the family. I've had it for 14 years. If you sell yours You will kick yourself in the azz years down the road. If you are tired of it just put it away.

Grn92LX said:
As far as advantages, thats simple. Brake better, feel better, ride better. I just feel I do not need a low 11 second capable car. I don't race it, nor do I have any ambition to race it. I just like to cruise around, I don't street race anymore and the track is in another state so I don't go there much.

Obvioulsy my car has the power advantage. But I don't drive it much except maybe on a friday or saturday night.

Honestly it sounds like you should sell it. The newer stangs are cool because you can do some nice mods, run 12's and still drive it like a stock car. They are fun when you start getting into serious exterior mods too.

N8Miller said:
Mike,sunday i took the GT to Kmart to get some odd stuff. i got out of the car and an older gentleman (50ish) came up to me and said that he really like the way my car sounded and looked. He told me that he was glad to see a nice street car like it was "back in my day" he said.
by no means is my car the nicest on the board, or even this thread, but DAMN, that made me feel fantastic!

I agree man, this guy told me tonight, probably 60 yrs old or so, he had a really nice GTO, and I just felt like I was in the wrong crowd b/c their cars were all show cars and stuff, my paint sucks, but they heard my car loping away and one of the guys come up to me, the one with the GTO, and he said "its really nice to see a younger guy keeping up the old school tradition", it made me feel really good, that people appriciate old stuff. Id love a newer stang, but Id never sell the 5.0 for one. It depends what kind of sentimental value you have with your car.

Is it worth a quick buck? To say to your kids and stuff when your older, man I had the coolest car when I was younger....my dad always tells me about his 71 chevelle that he regrets selling so much, and thats why I want to say to my kids, this was my first car ever.

I know I completely contradicted my last post lol.

Bad92GT said:
alright.. i went from my 92 GT to a 98.. let me tell ya.. it was night and day difference.. drivin and smoothness.. the 98 had it.. power and funness.. 92 had it.. handling the 92 ate it up.. only thing the 98 had was colder AC.. and that was it..

That's funny...my 98 GT was just as fast as my stock 5.0L.

My 98 Gt runs smoother, handles better, less squeeks and rattles, better sound, more "comfy"...better gas mileage. More reliable, "10 years newer"...

The Stang gets better and better every year they come out...

My girlfriend was in my car the other day, and said "it's too cold"...

It was 101 degrees outside.

Dual airbags.

Better brakes by far...

The list goes on...

99+ are even better...and 05 plus is even better...

Wifes 04 is an absolute pleasure on the street...and when the top goes down...can't even compare to the 88. Yes the old girl will dance circles around my wifes GT but it's a huge step back in comfort and pure ease to drive. HOWEVER I took the vert out thrusday night to the local gathering and on the drive after I lined up against some cars that my GT would devour....the auto vert did not fair well, it's not FAST...but really it's not supposed to be, it has a different purpose. If I had to choose a daily...HANDS DOWN..04.

Grn92LX said:
I was thinking of buying a newer more normal mustang like a 96-98 Cobra or a 00 GT or something like that. Just something I can do 4.30 gears, exhaust and bull sh it like that and be content. The thought of a newer car intrigues me. I

Then after about a year or two you get bored with the new one and want to sell it and focus on modding up a cheaper lighter fox body like me