Tire sizes for Pony's???

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
I've always had 17's and never had a problem picking the right tire for 17 inch wheels. I sold my SHO so now it's time to spend the money and get some new tires for my LX. I'm getting BFG G-Force Sports. What sizes do you guys run? I was thinkin 225/50 for the front and 245/50 for the back. Anybody got any pictures? Am I choosing the right sizes?

• Sponsors (?)

You will have a major difference between a 225/50 and a 245/50...I recommend stock 225/55 up front and if you need to stagger them, go with a 245/50.

My choice would be 245/50 all the way around. Niiiiice.

I may do the 245/50's all the way around. Then I car properly rotate them since it's my daily and would like the tires to last a long time. I never realized how much rotating tires makes them last.

245/50/R16's are nice, but my front tires rub just a bit when backing up even with 225/55/R16's, so I'd be mindful of clearance on the fronts. Going with 245's will give you just a bit of sidewall bulge, which would be okay in the back but look odd in the front, but 225's will generally look "right" on Ponies all the way around, IMO. Personally, I can't see the sense in running two different sizes of tires on anything but a track-only car because if you have a flat, you're pretty well screwed unless you carry a full-sized fatty spare in the back at all times. (Can't run different-sized tires on the rear or you'll ruin your LSD, and if you're running really wide tires in rear you can't rotate one of them to the front and put both fronts on the back.)

FWIW, you don't really NEED wider tires in the back if you have a good, quality brand/make of tire - the BFG Traction T/A's I have on the back of my Notch hook VERY nicely, even in 225-width. :nice:

I just like the way the wider tires on the rear look. Looks like its going to be 245's all around. And I'm definatly getting BFG GForce Sports. I ran them on my 89 and they are the best tire for the money IMO. Then in the winter I'm gonna invest in some nice new snow tires.

I just like the way the wider tires on the rear look. Looks like its going to be 245's all around. And I'm definatly getting BFG GForce Sports. I ran them on my 89 and they are the best tire for the money IMO. Then in the winter I'm gonna invest in some nice new snow tires.

Good call!!!

Why not run the swampers this winter?!?!

235/55/16 Slightly wider and taller than stock
Captured2006-4-900010.jpg

245/50/16 Great look
DSCN0813.jpg

225/50/16 front, 245/50/16 rear...fronts look tiny
DSCN0775.jpg

225/55/16 stockers
DSCN0809.jpg

225/50/16 too small all around, might be good on a lowered car
DSCN0810.jpg

I have 245/50s on the front of my ARE's. When i got them they had them in the back too. IMO, they're too low profile and leave too much fender gap. I now have 265/50 DR's in the back and they're just about perfect. The front could still be a tad taller but they look pretty good.

Here's with the drag radials:
AREs1440x9002.jpg

Here's the 245/50s all around:
P5050055.jpg

They just looked a little puny to me. Nice width though.

Personally, I can't see the sense in running two different sizes of tires on anything but a track-only car because if you have a flat, you're pretty well screwed unless you carry a full-sized fatty spare in the back at all times. (Can't run different-sized tires on the rear or you'll ruin your LSD, and if you're running really wide tires in rear you can't rotate one of them to the front and put both fronts on the back.)

FWIW, you don't really NEED wider tires in the back if you have a good, quality brand/make of tire - the BFG Traction T/A's I have on the back of my Notch hook VERY nicely, even in 225-width. :nice:

In my case I run drag radials on the rear. Never going to rotate them to the front. I think mine are 225 and 245, but I'd have to go out and look.