Tires

• Sponsors (?)

what is the widest tire size that will fit on the stock rims for a 2005 mustang GT?
You might want to check with your local tire shops or just online. Their websites usually show all the options available to you if you still have stock rims. From what I found for your model it's all 235mm. If your rims aren't stock I'd walk into a Goodyear or other well known shop. I only have 215s on my 17" rims but have the Goodyear Triple-Tred All Seasons which work really well in rain and ice conditions. They are prone to road noise but mine aren't too bad. A lot of the time I don't even notice them. They also have a high mileage warranty.

Last edited:
Depends on your rim width and diameter. Tirerack.com has a list.

For example: on a 9.5/10" rim, widest safe width is 305.

Being stock, I am guessing you have 8" or 9"...which puts you in 255/285 territory. You need to know exact width of your rims and check spec.

And don't get suckered into putting wide, low-profile tires on your car in the hopes of getting better traction.
Moving from a 245/45/19 to a 255/40/19 on my stock rims did nothing for traction. Just cost me more money.

Sidewall AND width is where it's at... that's why you see the guys at the track with 15"x10" rims with big fat 305 width drag slicks (this requires sway bar relocation on my car). If you have stock rims and aren't happy with traction, your best bet is to get wider rims and get wider tires that also retain the sidewall height and overall wheel diameter.