To cheat or not to cheat?

MattK67

Jun 30, 2004
I have a 67 coupe that I have been restoring over the last year or so. I turn 21 in Feb and my parents have offered to pay to have all of the body work and paint done professionally for my gift. I've almost completed all of the welding, ie floor pans, cowl, other various patching. By having someone do all of the body work done by someone else, this will get my car done at least a year earlier then planned. I am a full time student as well as working a job on the weekends so I don't have a lot of free time to devote to the restoration. I wanted to get your guys opinions on this. If I had it the body work done, I could have the car completed and ready to drive for summer, but it feels like I'm cheating by not doing myself. What do ya'll think?

• Sponsors (?)

I think that it depends on you. I don't think having somebody else paint the car is cheating but if you wanted to do the body and paint and be able to say that you did it all yourself you should wait. If you don't care about the satisfaction of doing it all yourself then go for the free paint and body work. You just have to decide which you want the most. Driving it sooner or being able to say, "I did that."

Stop waisting time and get that thing painted before they change their mind! LOL

In all seriousness, body work and paint is a very skilled trade and IMO should only be done by the pros. Unless you are attending Wyotech then I would let someone else paint it and don't be ashamed of it. Heck, I would bet 90% of the cars on this site have been painted by someone else whether it be a friend in thier garage or the local body shop.

I 2nd the Git'R Done!

Ditto to the above. Plus, unless you can match the quality of professional paint/body work, get it done. Why wait, when it can be done MUCH sooner, better(?--don't know your skills), and . . . FOR FREE! With your busy schedule, you may be kicking yourself in the backside a year from now if it's still not done. Besides, having the bodywork done will free up time and $$$ for other fun stuff w/ the car.

Do you and your parents know the cost of really good body work and paint? My son just had the right side of his 02 Mustang repainted due to a few really small scratches. It cost well over a thousand dollars to match the paint to the body. I looked at it and really couldn't see any scratches until I got really close.

That is really kind of your parents though. You're one lucky man.

In all seriousness, turn down nothing but your collar. If your parents are going to pay for it, take it in stride.
Im in the process of doing all my own welding and it is going to take me some time to save up for the paint job I want. And as you know, things always come up inbetween that suck your money up.

I would go for it. I am haing some one else paint my car, ill bring it blocked and ready just because i want to put the money else where in the car. There are just certain things that there is no shame having some one else do. You'll
be able to enjoy the car just that much sooner.

I would accept their offer! Think of it this way: if your Mustang was rust free and had completely original paint, would you insist on doing body work and paint yourself, anyway? Or, would you be happy that someone else (in this case, the factory workers) painted your car? I like doing the work myself, but if I had this offer...
Daniel

The answer depends on your ability and access to the tools required to do the work.

I wouldn't allow anyone else to paint my car. However, I have years of experience doing it and own all the neccesary equipment.

If you plan to do more vehicles in the future or the "restoration process" is what you find enjoyable about the hobby I say do it yourself.

If you have never painted a car, don't plan on doing another in the future and your parents are offering to foot the bill, you will be time and money ahead to let a pro do it.

+1 for having parents pay. If you are pressed for time, it will take you a *long* time to do it yourself and get good results. It's not cheating to have a pro paint your car, especially since you've done everything else

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to have it done after I finish the cowl repair. I can't wait to get it back looking all shiny and new. Anyone have an idea on how long it would take for a shop to do the bondo and paint? There aren't any major issues that I have found with the body panels, so I'm guessing it's going to just need sandblasting, a skim coat and paint.

I want the satisfaction of being able to say i did it all ! 6 years later in still working on it! Someone said it before that body work take a skill to make it look good, and if you dotn haev the time to pratice to get it right before you paint your ouwn car, then put another 6 months on the finish date, plus another year for unexpected problems and you might have by then, other wise let them give yuo a gift and enjoy!