To those who serve from one who didn't

• Sponsors (?)

a bit more to share...

I saw this thread and your page; I think it's great.

Here is a bit more to sweeten the story for those who thank those who serve. This is an excerpt from a letter from my brother who is stationed in Kazakhstan (USAF). Whether you support the US administration or not is one thing, but I think everyone should support the men and women who are out there making things happen.
:flag:

Thanks for you kind words about service. My personal
sacrifice is small compared to thousands of guys sitting in Iraq or in the
middle of no where Afghanistan chasing around bad guys. There a lot of
debate about what we are doing and a lot of "what ifs" floating around,
but I don't think that anybody can debate the fact that future of a
better Iraq and a better Afghanistan, as well as a safer world is on the
shoulders of those guys. I wish people in America could see the
work those guys are doing and the way they represent our country.
Honestly, there is a lot of resentment toward the United
States and a lot of questions about how we use our status in the world,
but I've always have a hard time understanding that. Just in this
past year I've flown emergency supplies into that hell hole the Tsumami
created. I've watched US planes get loaded up with relief supplies to be
airdropped to earthquake victims in Pakistan. I've flown all over
Afganistan delivering stuff to guys so they can go out and kill people
who think its okay to blow up men, women, and children to promote
their insane cause. I'm just proud of what America has been doing and I'm
honored just to be associated with people that are willing to hang in out
there and do the things that no body else is willing or capable of doing.
Now that I sound like a recruiter or a crusty vet I'm going
to call it a night. Thanks again for writing. Sorry about the ear full
but it's just stuff I've been thinking about lately, especially with
a lot of the news that seems to have a "self loathing" take on America
these days.
Take care.

bnickel said:
:flag: i was told i couldn't fly a chopper because i wore glasses and had asthma. i was bitter for a while and didn't end up joining but i respect everyone our service guys and gals and thank you all. :nice:

They have loosened up on that in the Air Force, I have above perfect vision but if it began to go bad, I am glad to know that I will be okay so long as it is correctable to 20/20. So ever feel like pursuing dreams long lost Bnickel?:D

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
They have loosened up on that in the Air Force, I have above perfect vision but if it began to go bad, I am glad to know that I will be okay so long as it is correctable to 20/20. So ever feel like pursuing dreams long lost Bnickel?:D

at 36 years old with arthritis and other ailments i think it would be harder to be a chopper pilot now than it was then.

bnickel said:
:flag: i was told i couldn't fly a chopper because i wore glasses and had asthma.

Back in 1979, the "Modern All Volunteer Army" didn't want a kid with a blown-out knee and I couldn't hide the brace on my right leg; otherwise 1/2NK would have been the sixth-generation in my family to wear the colors.

To all of our military members; Thank You -again. And I'm proud (and a little envious) of you.

Thanks:flag: I have three years till retirement... Serving our country is the best job in the world.... I am going to miss it but I have a son who will follow in my path just like I followed my father. It seems like yesterday but I have been in a lot of places and there is nothing like the freedom and opportunities we have in the US.:D

347 Fastback: Vandenberg? The Missile King over there used to vie with my father (when Pop was Airspace Officer at YPG) to see who could score the most closures and restrictions at the quarterly FAA meetings in La Jolla.

That was back during the latter 'Nam years through the Carter Era.

Nowadays, things are different. The present A.O. over here just waits nervously for your gang to call a last-minute Shuttle wave-off.

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
I am dying to get my commission and start flying ASAP so I can do my part. With things the way they are going, WWIII seems like it is around the corner, and I hope I can be a part of it.

Wow wishing for WWIII to happen is one of the dumbest things I have read in a while. I know you mean well but war isnt great. Yeah those movies on T.V. are great and make you feel like you want to do the same thing those before us have but wanting a war to start especially the so called last war isnt good. BTW before you get all defenesive Im not bashing just giving you some advice. It sounds like you have a great attitude and you wanna serve. Thats great and I support you. Also Ive been to Afghan twice and Iraq (Falujiah) once for a total of 22 months in combat so I know alittle about it. BTW thats great you wanna be a pilot, thats a great job. I was enlisted but I flew as a crewchief/door gunner on Blackhawks, I loved my job very much. Im out now due to injuries form parachuting.

Good Luck!

Luis

LUCAFU1 said:
Wow wishing for WWIII to happen is one of the dumbest things I have read in a while. I know you mean well but war isnt great. Yeah those movies on T.V. are great and make you feel like you want to do the same thing those before us have but wanting a war to start especially the so called last war isnt good. BTW before you get all defenesive Im not bashing just giving you some advice. It sounds like you have a great attitude and you wanna serve. Thats great and I support you. Also Ive been to Afghan twice and Iraq (Falujiah) once for a total of 22 months in combat so I know alittle about it. BTW thats great you wanna be a pilot, thats a great job. I was enlisted but I flew as a crewchief/door gunner on Blackhawks, I loved my job very much. Im out now due to injuries form parachuting.

Good Luck!

Luis

Thank you very much for the well wishes, and wisdom. I think that you did misunderstand me though. I wasn't hoping or wishing for a war especially a huge war like that. I was just pointing out that it is on its way, and that if it happens, I hope that I can be a part of it, and not be a mere cadet watching our brothers in arms die. Do you see what I mean? I really hope I didn't come across that way, because I agree that is a very stupid statement to make coming from anyone.

LUCAFU1 said:
I was enlisted but I flew as a crewchief/door gunner on Blackhawks, I loved my job very much. Im out now due to injuries form parachuting.

Good Luck!

Luis

Hey Luis, maybe you shoulda paid closer attention in Jumps school.... j/k. So what happened? land too fast or something?

Critter