Track advice

saldivo2

Apr 12, 2005
So I Went to the track last night....Not to happy with the results. Last year my best run was 14.01 approx at 100mph. (I don't have the slip anymore but i know I just broke 100mph). Most runs would hover around the 14.1 mark. Only things done were a cat back and short throw. Since then I installed a new clutch, flywheel and FRPP 4:10's thinking I would break the high 13's with the new gear. Mistake?

Last night my best run was 14.53 at 99.38 mph with a 2.31 60 foot :nonono:. the other 5 runs were slightly worse. My question is do I just suck or do I need stickys to get that 60' down to get some traction? Advice?

-Mike

• Sponsors (?)

i'd say your losing the time in the 60' the car obviously isn't hooking up well with that 60' time. the 4.10's are just making you blow the tires off is my bet.

so id say yes you need a stickier tire setup

i just hit 13.54 with street tires. i only have 3.73 gears CAI and shorties or/x and flowmasters.

i say work on your 60'. it took me a few passes to get my times. you just have to feel the out your launch and try not to spin your tires. explain how your starting off. what rpm are you launching at?

I was launching about 2500 roughly, give or take. Traction is an issue down low I tried to slow it up but would just end up boggin it. Its depressing getting waxed by stock wrx lol.....sigh

did you try slipping the clutch? what i would do is rev to about 3500-4000 during the yellows, then at green i would let off the clutch a little bit till i can feel the grip then i floor it and quickly ease off he clutch the rest of the way.

keep in mind this all happens in about 5 seconds. just have to practice it. and this is what works for me but im still pretty noob at racing. i dont know if what im doing is screwing something up. :) hopefully a veteran of racing can chime in

Thank God for automatics. :D:stirpot:

jk man. I've raced a 5 speed, and it just takes some practice, actually a lot of practice.. And slipping the clutch always got me the best times on street tires. What size and brand tire do you currently have?

-Will

How high is the track your running at ? , tires or not , with the 4.10 you should still be pulling a better time then that , is your stang running alright , feel slugish ?
codes , anything ?

If you plan on going to the track a decent amount, invest in some drag radials. I cut a 1.9 60's in my old gt on BFG KDWS street tires, but it took me a little to be able to "feel" the launch. Its all about the clutch slip thats for sure. But it should def. run upper 13's no problem!