Transmission fluid question.

I did a lot of searching and seems like lots of mustang owners like to run atf in their t-5 transmission because it's thin and lubricates tiny bearing.

Is Pennzoil Syncromesh ok to use? It's supposed to be 5w-30 weight oil. Is it thin enough?

Why would so many people run Atf over Pennzoil Syncromesh. Isn't Syncromesh recommended.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

ATF is what's recommended by Ford for the transmission. If you want to run something else, call Transmission Technology Corporation (parent company of Tremec) and ask. Everyone there is super helpful. I've had guys there go down to the engineering floor to actually look at parts for me and call me back. You will definitely get good advice from them.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
IIRC, the only Tremec product that Syncromesh is recommended for is the TKO Line of transmissions. Perhaps even the original 3550 as well.

All others took whatever Dextron ATF was recommended at the time and have all been superceeded by Dextron/Merc V. It's tough to get an official tremec stance these days because they now offer their own line of trans fluid and have seemingly wiped all previous documentation as to what fluid to run and now say "run our fluid". (Tremec HP-MTF). Ford states Mercon V now.

I've run Mobil 1 ATF in mine since the early 2000's.

With that said. I know a lot of folks run SYnchromesh in a T5 and have not seen or heard of any instances of damage from it.

Food for thought..

Last edited: