Transmission = kaplooey

gibson89LX

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2002
Brunswick, OH
Just started slipping, then CRUUUNCH. Hitting the rev limiter while going 15mph :notnice: I guess thats what happens when you put 200+ through a Light Duty Trans that was designed for an 88 hp car

priced out about 1k to get the transmission replaced. SOOO I'm debating on whether or not to use that towards another car and just make the mustang maybe a funsie project or something. anyway here's the two candidates.

1991 Pontiac Firebird
696326081.152170685.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x282.jpg

Remote Start
5-speed
T-tops
$1,900
PROS:5 speed and T-TOPS MAN T-TOPS!
CONS: it's a GM :hmm: and only a v6
-OR-

1991 Ford Thunderbird
696324514.152169443.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x282.jpg

Sunroof
Full Power
Automatic
$1,000
PROS:5.0 man! booyah!!! Sunroof! PRICE! FORD!
CONS:Higher Miles, small ding on rear quarter and it's RED :p
-OR-

1992 Ford Probe GT
654314670.148482725.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2.2T
Auto
PROS: it's white, turbocharged, and low miles
CONS: price and FWD

• Sponsors (?)

nomuffler said:
Depends on what you want. I'd wouldn't hesitate to get the bird(oops fire bird :)). Lighter, better handling, just not as fast. Not near as fast probably, not the T-bird is fast just that the firebird is slow. But it will handle exponentialy better, and to me that's what's important for a street vehicle.
You'd be surprised man, t-birds can cut corners like champs. That IRS helps out ALOT.

and 140, thing is It's BALLLLS cold outside, that's why I wouldn't switch the trans out myself. If it was summer I'd go to the yard pick a trans and have it in in a day. and be out 300. but it's 10* here right now and I'll be damned if I'm gonna work on a car that hard in this weather lol

gibson89LX said:
Y but it's 10* here right now and I'll be damned if I'm gonna work on a car that hard in this weather lol
i know how that is. It was 3 degrees when i left work last night. I have to let my tranny warm up or else it just falls out of gear. I need 3 hours, THREE HOURS of bearable weather to finish putting my ranger's suspension back together so i can drive it, but nooooo.

Now do you believe us when we tell you the a4ld is crap? Do the t5 swap and keep the car, but for now i understand why you dont want to work on it. My vote would be for the Tbird, they are pretty common, cheap to work on, simple to work on and they are still cool. The probe would be my second choice but take a long hard look at it. Buying turbo cars second hand can be dangerous espically with all the wanna be rice boys putting boost controllers on with stock fuel pressures. :notnice: as for the Firebird.... I would push my busted ass mustang to work before i would drive that. Those things are so ugly and the interiors are Horrible!

Dr.

Hell yeah thunderbirds can corner, they come with coilovers, and independent rear ends.... Our old 93 v6 handled like a beast, it came with big swaybars too.... We had the lumbard leather seats as well.... Held you in tight, you needed it too.... Thing was solid as a rock in the turns, but VERY plush on the interstate... That car had a SWEET suspension

Dr_EluSivE said:
Now do you believe us when we tell you the a4ld is crap? Do the t5 swap and keep the car, but for now i understand why you dont want to work on it. My vote would be for the Tbird, they are pretty common, cheap to work on, simple to work on and they are still cool. The probe would be my second choice but take a long hard look at it. Buying turbo cars second hand can be dangerous espically with all the wanna be rice boys putting boost controllers on with stock fuel pressures. :notnice: as for the Firebird.... I would push my busted ass mustang to work before i would drive that. Those things are so ugly and the interiors are Horrible!

Dr.
No cuz the transmission shop just called and said it's not the transmission it's something else.

I would so buy your car if I had money right now and you were selling I would buy your car and drop in my running gear, did a T5 swap once before and I would do it again.

Do the trans swap and keep your car, even if you just swap the auto with another, borrow a friends garage.