Tremec advice!!!!

rflow50

Jun 18, 2005
TX
Well since i just got rid of my T5 transmission for $350dls, it is time to look into a Tremec. I was planning on getting the TKO 600 but there is this guy in town that is selling a TKO II. I am not very familiar with this transmission but this is the deal. He paid 2300 bucks just for the tranny....he never used it, the transmission includes a new explosion proof mcleod bell housing that he paid ($400) and a centerforce dual friction clutch setup. He is letting the whole setup go for 2000.00.....it would all be a bolt on deal, ready for racing....the tranny is a road race tranny with all the hardened gears and 26 spline iniput shaft and 31 spline output shaft (c6 yoke).

Now my question is which one is a better transmission for my setup the TKO 600 or TKO II. What can you guy tell me about the differences in this two. Any advice is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

the TKO II i believe is the 3550 ???

in any case that deal is way to good to pass up, I would buy it, that trans should hold everything your block can handle anyway.

good luck! i just paid 250 bucks for a USED Mcleod clutch with flywheel.

No the TKO II isnt better and thats just to much for a outdated tranny.
I paid $2219 ..tko600 bellhousing and yoke plus clutch, shipping was $60
If i was you id shop around bro..good luck :nice:

The TKOII is basically a TKO 500 but it has a .80 (road race) 5th gear where the TKO500 has a .64 (?) overdrive. The TKO 600 has a lower numerical 1st gear than the TKO 500 / TKOII and stock t-5, in other words, it's slower off the line unless you have higher numerical gears in the rear.

Thanks for the advice. I just did a search on the Transmission. The TKO II handles 475(lbs-ft) of torque and the gear ratio is the same as the TKO500.

Now Muscle Motors Performance is giving me this deal. TKO 600, Lakewood bellhousing, Spec III clutch, yoke, for $2200 plus shipping.

Which one should i get.

thanks tunedin302, while i was writing my respond you post your info. Yes the TKO II and TKO500 are almost the same.

I should be at 500 horses with the little changes i did since the tuning, plus I'm also upgrading the supercharger pulley with a 2.95. My goal for now is 550or 575 horses, and i want something that can handle that power without breaking like the T5 transmission.

tunedin302 said:
With that rear the TKOII would put you very high RPM on the highway. You would probably be okay with the TKO600 but you will most likely be a little slower off the line than you are now (assuming you have a stock t-5). Ideally you should go with a built TKO500. Check out www.modularmustangracing.com and look at the TKO750 (beefed up TKO500)

That TKO750 is what i need. Thanks for the advice, tomorrow i am going to call those guys.

be carefull Muscle motors sold me a "road race" .82 overdrive instead of the normal one.

I still think the TKOII is a wayy better deal than the TKO600 with spec stage 3 disc.
Im just removing my spec stage 3 and going with the Mcleod.
If your gonna listen, listen to someone that has been through it.
The car does rev. a bit higher on the hwy, i have 3.55 gears .

Dont worry about the horespower rating i run MUCH more through the TKO600 than its supposed to handle.

S&B said:
be carefull Muscle motors sold me a "road race" .82 overdrive instead of the normal one.

I still think the TKOII is a wayy better deal than the TKO600 with spec stage 3 disc.
Im just removing my spec stage 3 and going with the Mcleod.
If your gonna listen, listen to someone that has been through it.
The car does rev. a bit higher on the hwy, i have 3.55 gears .

Dont worry about the horespower rating i run MUCH more through the TKO600 than its supposed to handle.

Did you keep the Road race they sold you. The only difference on the gear ratio from the normal one is 5th gear. If I decide on going with a TKO600 is going to be the road race .82 overdrive.

This Friday i am going to talk to the guy that is offering me the TKOII and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.