turns off

SAMustang7

May 4, 2003
what could cause my car to turn off? i was at a stop light and it shut off. hell i didnt even notice till the light turned green and i pressed on the gas. then it turned off a second time when i was doing about 30. problem just started today. could it be related to all my other tons of problems ive posted about?

• Sponsors (?)

I was talking to a friend a work and one of his friends had a lincoln LS that kept on cutting out on him. He took it to the dealer numurous times and they never fixed it. Well, one day it cut off on him, he hit a telephone pole and broke his collar bone. Now he's going to court and their throwing a new aviator, paid for, and 40 G's so it doesn't go to court.

i remember cleaning the iac a looooong time ago because my check engine light would turn off and on. didnt fix that problem though. anyway, how much is a new iac? and how do they go bad anyway? there doesnt seem to be much to them. also, i stated in a different post about an annoying whirring sound that gets louder when i step on the gas. could this be related? friggin noise is almost as loud as the exhaust.

SAMustang7 said:
what could cause my car to turn off? i was at a stop light and it shut off. hell i didnt even notice till the light turned green and i pressed on the gas. then it turned off a second time when i was doing about 30. problem just started today. could it be related to all my other tons of problems ive posted about?

What exactly do you mean when you say "it just turned off"? Do you mean the electrical system completely shut down? Did the engine just die? Did you get any warning lights, unusual sounds, or otherwise abnormal indications? There are lots of things that can cause the engine to die if that's what your talking about. For example: fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, bad coil pack, defective IAC, fouled plugs, dirty air filter/MAF, loss of power from the alternator, water in the gas, etc... We really need more information. Does the PCM have any codes stored? :scratch:

it turned off completely just like it would when you turn the key to shut it off.it didnt sputter or show any abnormal signs. i dont know if the headlights or anything else would have functioned since it was daytime and traffic was behind me so i was hurrying to get it started again. the radio did go off too though but i didnt notice it since i was on the phone and had the volume down when i was taking off. i just put it in park and turned the car back on. as for the pcm codes , i dont know what those are. how can i look them up?

SAMustang7 said:
it turned off completely just like it would when you turn the key to shut it off.it didnt sputter or show any abnormal signs. i dont know if the headlights or anything else would have functioned since it was daytime and traffic was behind me so i was hurrying to get it started again. the radio did go off too though but i didnt notice it since i was on the phone and had the volume down when i was taking off. i just put it in park and turned the car back on. as for the pcm codes , i dont know what those are. how can i look them up?

It sounded like you might mean that, but I wasn't sure. This problem sounds like a loose connection either at the top of the alternator, or on the fuse box. There are bolts in both locations and there is a heavy gauge cable that runs between the two. It is also possible that the connection on the starter is loose. The net result is that the power feeding the fuse box under the hood appears to be intermittent. The fuse box is right behind the battery...good luck. :nice:

thanx. ill check the connections tomorrow. it shut off on me earlier and this time i noticed that the battery light came on right as it shut off. also, could this be what would cause the rpms to fluctuate?