Type of Fuel

Ducati998ss

May 24, 2004
A friend just bought a 2000 Mustang V6, and didnt get a manual with it. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what youd recommend for fuel type, she been putting in 89 to just be safe, but can she go to 87 cause gas here in Cali is way expensive, Would putting in 87 hurt it at all?

• Sponsors (?)

No 87 won't hurt a stock engine. Infact it's designed for 87. Oh and this whole notion of the higher the octane the better yea that's BS. Unless you need the extra octane because of mods you don't need 91. It won't give you more power it's not cleaner etc. Trust me you learn these things when your dad works for Mobil.

i dont remember exactly how it works, but because the higher octane number gives you a lower knocking in your engine, the fuel is less powerful. therefore you have to put more in to get the same power, and only then it runs cleaner or something like that. therefore if an engine is designed for 87 and you put 91 in it, it runs with lower hp or something?????? i dunno.

98CobraClone said:
I need to get rid of my engine and put a powerstroke diesel under the hood. I have to run 93 octane.........diesel is only 1.59 a gallon here

Amen...we've found the one drawback of forced induction it seems. :p Since you mention it, diesel is only $1.55 here. Darn, I guess I am gonna have to go buy that powerstroke diesel now...